Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with LSGC Medal to PO J Shepherd RN

Sgt Stripes

Could anyone please confirm a that LSGC Medal was awarded to 125910 PO J Shepherd RN and if it was, what ship was he serving in when it was awarded.  i am not seeking to obtain his service record although any information concerning his later life would be most welcome. Thank you 

Edited by Sgt Stripes

His ADM 188 record shows a "Traced Medal" entry for March 1902. This refers to his LS&GC Medal. It was almost certainly presented soon after that date when he was serving as a Coast Guard Boatman (Btn) at Leith. He had achieved the required 15 years of service with VG Character in August 1901.

1 minute ago, horatio2 said:

His ADM 188 record shows a "Traced Medal" entry for March 1902. This refers to his LS&GC Medal. It was almost certainly presented soon after that date when he was serving as a Coast Guard Boatman (Btn) at Leith. He had achieved the required 15 years of service with VG Character in August 1901.

Beat me to it!

I see that when ha was attached to Victory I his record says "£3.10 GC&B Mch '96". What would this mean?

aim.

Gratuity for clothing & bedding. He rec'd 3 pounds, 10 shillings payment for these.

Further to Horatio' s post, Shepherd's LS medal should be the Victoria head as her image was still being issued up to mid 1903. I once had a VR LS medal awarded March 1903.

There must have been a fair amount of stock LS medals to be issued prior to Edward VII image commencing .