Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for info about the 358th and 828th Aero Squadrons.

Micki Fetters

Hello.  I am trying to learn more about my grandfather, Elmer Leroy Fetters.  Looking for info (what planes they flew, missions, etc.) for the 358th and 828th Aero Squadrons which he was part of according to his enlistment record. He was in the 358th Aero Squadron from 12/15/1917 to 8/28/1918 and in the 828th Aero Squadron until 4/23/1919.  

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Elmer Fetters in Uniform, Tacoma, WA.jpg

Micki 

Welcome to the Forum.

Brief service details of both squadrons here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_aero_squadrons

358th served only in the USA.

828th was an aircraft repair unit.

So no flying service it seems.

See also: https://stewartsmilitaryantiques.com/us-wwi-258th-828th-aero-squadron-document-insignia-grouping.28938.archive.htm

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS

@Micki Fetters 

828th Aero Squadron (repair) was formed at Kelly Field in February 1918, moving to Selfridge Field, Michigan the same month. The squadron then moved to Garden City, NY in May and further to the NY port of embarkation at Hoboken in August 1918. They supposedly landed in England the same month, but an Office Chief of Air Service return dated 11 September doesn’t show the unit but one dated 18 September does. The unit then shows in the UK until the 2 October statistical return so I think they actually arrived in the UK sometime between 11 and 18 September and departed for France between 25 September and 2 October and thence to 2nd AD at Latrecey.

The 828th returned to Camp Dix, New Jersey in September 1919 where the unit was demobilized.

The Edgar S Gorrell History of the American Expeditionary Forces 1917 - 1918 Air Service Series E: Squadron Histories will have a more detailed brief; these documents used to be available on Fold 3 so may be worth a look.

Also the US National Archives hold some probably very detailed histories which would certainly be a look. The references are:

RG 165 235162133: Air Service-Aero Squadrons-(2-11.4): 828th Aero Squadron:-History [1 of 2]
RG 165 235162134: Air Service-Aero Squadrons-(2-11.4): 828th Aero Squadron:-History [2 of 2]
RG 165 235162132: Air Service-Aero Squadrons-(2-11.4): 828th Aero Squadron:-Station List

I have often engaged a private researcher to copy US NA files for me and though it can be expensive, you fill find a LOT of very interesting stuff!