Malcolm

As per CWGC

Name: JOHNSON, JOSEPH

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Highland Light Infantry

Date of Death: 01/04/1921

Service No: 74533

Additional information: Son of Jane Johnson, of 8, Bella Vista, Powfoot, Annan, Dumfriesshire, and the late John Johnson.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 119.

Cemetery: CUMMERTREES CEMETERY

Cpl Johnson is not on the Scottish National War Memorial which

Cemetery

Cemetery: CUMMERTREES CEMETERY

Locality: Dumfriesshire

No. of Identified Casualties: 3.

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

I read (can't remember where) that the people of Dumfries got their Doonhamers tag during a time when work was hard to come by in the area (earlyish 20th century?). The men went up to the Edinburgh area to work through the week and when asked what they were doing at the weekend, they replied 'am gan doon hame'.

I'm naw yin tae ta'k, a cum fae even further doon sooth than Dumfries - born and brocht up in Kirkcudbrightshire, on the Scottish Riviera :P Now, we hae a gran' accent, a richt strang yin. Needless to say, it doesn't travel well. I have to remember and speak 'properly' now that I live down in the Midlands :( Before I get any complaints - nothing against the Midlands, it's just that most people have a soft spot for the place they grew up.

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuart,

You are correct about Doonhamers. I am from Eskdalemuir but my ancestors were from Kirkudbright and Lochmaben.

Aye

Malcolm

Guest Galatea
Stuart,

You are correct about Doonhamers. I am from Eskdalemuir but my ancestors were from Kirkudbright and Lochmaben.

Aye

Malcolm

I was relaxing (loafing?) at Powfoot yesterday and intended popping over to Cummertrees cemetery to photograph the grave. However, a dank driech mizzle fell over the area which would not allow any meaningful shot to be taken. Will try on a nicer day.