Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to find trenches/locations called 'ALEXANDRA' & 'ARCHWAY' along the Hohenzollern Front 1916

Niki

If anyone can help me find the following trench locations along the 1916 Hohenzollern front I'd be very grateful. On 10 March 1916 the 4 platoons of my Great Grandfather's company (D - Coy) were split between the following locations and he never returned.

ALEXANDRA trench? I can't find ALEXANDRA trench on any of the maps. HELP NEEDED

left on ARCHWAY? I can't find ARCHWAY trench on the trench maps either. HELP NEEDED

kink right on RIFLEMAN's ALLEY (For others looking for RIFLEMAN'S ALLEY - I have found where this one is - at the South end of Swinbourne Loop - G.12.6

Any info/map links to the first two would be great!

Thanks so much!

Niki McCrossan, Great Grandson of Pte Francis McCrossan, 4308, Connaught Rangers, D-Coy.

Nikki 

According to Rats  Alley , Alexandra Trench is on Map 36c N W 3 grid G 5 c d. 

I cannot find any reference to Archway,

I hope this assists 

Malcolm 

Alexander not Alexandra trench appears on map ID=m_82_000484 on TrenchMapper at about 36c.G.5.d.01.26. That is the trench in Rat's Alley. It is so close to Swinbourne Loop that it is likely to be the right one.

To see m_82_000484 directly, right click and choose Map ID Jump and insert the ID.  Swinbourne Loop is at 36c.G.12.c.07.77 on m_5_000282.

In TrenchMapper, use Advanced Search to find point names, typing less is best so type just ALEX and all the combinations show up. The same with Rifleman's, just type rifle

You can centre the map by right clicking and choosing Centre Map Here then right click again and Choose Maps at Centre. For this location you get 353 maps at various scales.

Not all trenches are listed in our database (they will be fairly soon) and not all trenches are marked on all maps so it is useful to look at several.

Howard

Nikki

The March 1916 War Diary of 37 Infantry Brigade, 12 Div, WO 95/1858 is worth a read. In the attached Orders it refers to reliefs between 7 East Surrey and 6 Queens for 17/03/1916. The War Diaries of both these Bns have sketches. 7 East Surrey WO 95/1862 and 6 Queens WO 95/1863. These sketches show The Chord and the Crarters but not Alexander Trench. Both WDs refer to it but call it Alexandra Trench.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I've read the entire account in The Connaught Rangers war diary, who they relieved and who they relieved etc, and like you're saying they mention ALEXANDRA trench in that diary but later in the 6 Queens diary they mention ALEXANDER TRENCH not ALEXANDRA. The diaries I read didn't have trench sketches as you're suggesting, maybe were reading different accounts, not sure, but thanks anyway :) I have found extensive trench maps of nearly all the positions and trenches my Great Grandfather was at, just concrete visual mapped proof of ALEXANDER TRENCH and RIFLEMAN's Alley alludes me. I do have an account that places Rifleman's Alley at the south end of Swinbourne Loop for which I have pretty clear trench imagery, but Rifleman's Alley is not written on the map

swinbourne loop best.png

Nikki

This is the map from the March 1916 WD of 7 East Surrey. TNA WO 95/1862. There are sketches on other pages.

The map in the 6 Queens WD is at the end of April. 

15 Div took over in late May 1915. This page is from the May 1916 WD of 15 Div HQ GS and refers to the Germans opening their barricade in Alexander Trench. TNA WO 95/1912.

8 Div took over from 15 Div in July, 21 Div took over from 8 Div in October and 6 Div took over from 21 Div in December. No maps in the WDs of the Div HQs. I will check the Infantry Brigades and the RE Diaries later. I like to try and find a map or sketch in a Diary.

Brian

1862 145.jpg

1912 512.jpg

Niki

I have an interest in the Quarries so I'm glad I persisted. In the September 1916 WD of the Commander Royal Engineers 8 Div there are two maps which show Alexander Trench in G 11 b, between the Hohenzollern Redoubt and the Quarries. I have attached one of them.

TNA WO 95/1689

Brian

1689.jpg

crop.jpg

Oh great, that's the first time I've seen maps including Alexander Trench, good clearly written maps too. another piece of the puzzle done for me.

Thanks very much Brian, that was very kind of you! :) 

29 minutes ago, Niki said:

Oh great, that's the first time I've seen maps including Alexander Trench, good clearly written maps too. another piece of the puzzle done for me.

Thanks very much Brian, that was very kind of you! :) 

Alexander trench is on a number of maps available on TrenchMapper. Try ID=m_82_000484 or enter 36c.G.5.d.01.26 and swap maps

Howard