Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Personnel ID

Peterhastie

From another web page. Can anyone ID any of the men?

Labelled as "Part of an album of RFC photos"

318533517_9092398757440723_7294982609610267694_n.jpg

Edited by Peterhastie

I'm no expert so I'll tell you what I see
Definitely 1918 or later
Many senior staff officers

The [Major/Lieutenant General?] General in the front middle has an impressive row of medals. I can tell you with confidence he was a veteran of the Sudan and South African campaigns.

The man to his left has 4 overseas chevrons and a [Second] Boer War campaign ribbon. Perhaps he's also got a DSO?

Nearly all the officers in the front row has a 1914 star.

The Major in Second row from front on right has a Military Cross and has been wounded twice
The Captain [Second row from front] third from left has a DCM and I think a Croix De Guerre but swapped around.

Perhaps @FROGSMILE might be able to tell us the Regiments shown here [I can see MGC and Foot Guards I think] and we could probably link it up to a General

Sorry if it isn't much,
Zidane.

The General's medal set seems to be the following

GCB[?], G/KCVO[?], ?
Africa General Service Medal, Egypt Medal [?], East and West Africa Medal[?], 1914 Star
Foreign decorations for the bottom row. Probably a Croix De Guerre, Légion d'Honneur among them.

Edited by tankengine888

It may be in an album labelled RFC but none of them are wearing wings.

11 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

I'm no expert so I'll tell you what I see
Definitely 1918 or later
Many senior staff officers

The [Major/Lieutenant General?] General in the front middle has an impressive row of medals. I can tell you with confidence he was a veteran of the Sudan and South African campaigns.

The man to his left has 4 overseas chevrons and a [Second] Boer War campaign ribbon. Perhaps he's also got a DSO?

Nearly all the officers in the front row has a 1914 star.

The Major in Second row from front on right has a Military Cross and has been wounded twice
The Captain [Second row from front] third from left has a DCM and I think a Croix De Guerre but swapped around.

Perhaps @FROGSMILE might be able to tell us the Regiments shown here [I can see MGC and Foot Guards I think] and we could probably link it up to a General

Sorry if it isn't much,
Zidane.

The General's medal set seems to be the following

GCB[?], G/KCVO[?], ?
Africa General Service Medal, Egypt Medal [?], East and West Africa Medal[?], 1914 Star
Foreign decorations for the bottom row. Probably a Croix De Guerre, Légion d'Honneur among them.

It’s a most unusual photo with no less than five Corps Commanders seated in the front row, plus another general officer standing at far left, so it should be possible to identify them.  The five are marked as such by their scarlet-white-scarlet armlets (aka brassards) and their bullion wire cap insignia.

Behind the Corps Commanders are their staff officers, all but three with gorgets (collar tabs) marking their special status.  Most are wearing the general staff badge of crowned lion surmounting the Tudor/Imperial Crown in bullion, or metal.  The only other badges appear to be two Royal Engineers, one Machine Gun Corps, one Royal Army Medical Corps, one Army Ordnance Department, one Coldstream Guards and one French liaison officer**.

**There is another badge that I cannot quite make out worn by the staff officer in the top left corner.

46A353DF-2E83-4BE2-BEB3-EFFE7C5A1DD7.jpeg

90DAD454-543F-41F7-BE61-E90B58E752AE.jpeg

6E10AC33-B058-4347-ABB6-D68BDDBE8644.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 minutes ago, Peterhastie said:

Thanks for the pointers. I’ve got one, Second row from the front, fourth from the left. Lieutenant-General Sir Charles Toler MacMorrough Kavanagh.
https://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/10thhussarscharleskavanagh.htm

Seems to be him! Good job! In the group photograph, he's only wearing one ribbon [presumably 1914 star??]
Zidane

18 hours ago, Peterhastie said:

Thanks for the pointers. I’ve got one, Second row from the front, fourth from the left. Lieutenant-General Sir Charles Toler MacMorrough Kavanagh.
https://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/10thhussarscharleskavanagh.htm

18 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

Seems to be him! Good job! In the group photograph, he's only wearing one ribbon [presumably 1914 star??]
Zidane

I don't think that's Kavanagh in the group photo - from the linked article and known photos of him his medal entitlement even by the start of WW1 was already at least DSO, 1911 Coronation Medal/Delhi Durbar Medal, QSA and KSA, whilst the chap in the OP's photo is clearly only wearing a single ribbon.

Edited by Andrew Upton

2 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

I don't think that's Kavanagh in the group photo - from the linked article and known photos of him his medal entitlement even by the start of WW1 was already at least DSO, 1911 Coronation Medal/Delhi Durbar Medal, QSA and KSA, whilst the chap in the OP's photo is clearly only wearing a single ribbon.

Now that you mention it, he doesn't have the gold on his gorget which doesn't fit for a Corps Commander. There is resemblance, but as you say, it most likely isn't him.

Looking at Frogsmile's chart of imperial badges  there is a one that totally surprises me as it seems to be a combined pilots and observer brevet.ls this a real badge or has someone made it up? Surely this is an invented thing ? 

5 minutes ago, nils d said:

Looking at Frogsmile's chart of imperial badges  there is a one that totally surprises me as it seems to be a combined pilots and observer brevet.ls this a real badge or has someone made it up? Surely this is an invented thing ? 

It’s quite an accurate chart, but I think it includes some proposals that didn’t come to pass.  It’s one of several charts with others including Royal Navy badges.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, nils d said:

It was real, but never officially adopted. It crops up in a 1945 Parliamentary discussion regarding Pilots and Observers badges - " I remember that in the R.F.C. then there was a totally unauthorised badge with "R.F.C." in the middle and a little "O" underneath. That was never authorised by the Air Ministry, but some pilots were so proud of having been observers that they bought those illicit badges.". Full transcription in the following thread: