Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty List look-up, 423831 J.Davis, London Regiment

clive_hughes

Hi folks,

Is there any possibility please of a check on the Casualty Lists (in newspapers usually) for 423831 Pte. J.Davis, 10th London Regiment?  He was from the Hoxton/Shoreditch or nearby East London area. 

According to the medal roll he served in France & Flanders from 17 October 1917, and returned to the UK on 8.5.1918.  He suffered some sort of wound or other disability, so I'm wondering if he made an appearance in the cas. lists either before or after the latter date (I'm aware they were published approx. 4-6 weeks after the actual date of injury). 

thank you,

Clive

55 minutes ago, clive_hughes said:

Hi folks,

Is there any possibility please of a check on the Casualty Lists (in newspapers usually) for 423831 Pte. J.Davis, 10th London Regiment?  He was from the Hoxton/Shoreditch or nearby East London area. 

According to the medal roll he served in France & Flanders from 17 October 1917, and returned to the UK on 8.5.1918.  He suffered some sort of wound or other disability, so I'm wondering if he made an appearance in the cas. lists either before or after the latter date (I'm aware they were published approx. 4-6 weeks after the actual date of injury). 

thank you,

Clive

Hi Clive... do you have a first name?

edit ... James

Edited by Gunner 87

Gunner87,

I'm delighted to have that.  I'm doing a favour for his family, who do have a couple of useful contemporary documents, but neither of them mentioned a wound - only a family story that it happened while he was lighting a cigarette in the trenches, affecting his right thigh, and that he died in 1922 following the last of several attempts to correct this by surgery.   The only date on paper was that of his leaving the Theatre of War on 3.5.18.  

I'm much obliged, and am sure they will be also.  I've bookmarked the Cas. List site in case I can use it again. 

Very much obliged to you,

Clive 

Pension records are on Fold3 Ancestry but unfortunately I do not have a subscription, only to Ancestry itself. Medal rolls confirm the date you have of 3rd May 1918.

No Silver War Badge that I can find.

The bit that I can see of pension records seem to confirm his death in 1922.

Noel

Noel,

As in a parallel thread, I agree he didn't have the SWBadge, and only had a fairly short period of pension which stopped before the end of 1919.  So he must have had a wound/injury of some sort or he wouldn't have got even that much pension; and they were willing to give him treatment at a Military hospital post-war.  

His family believe he died following the last of a series of operations on his right thigh, but I haven't seen his death certificate which might confirm or amplify this. 

Cheers,

Clive 

He was discharged under the Class Z scheme, so whatever the extent of the injury, it wasn't enough by itself to have had him medically discharged.

Craig

Thanks Craig,

I've likely overlooked something but where did you find the reference to Class Z please?

Ah,

I overlooked that bit while copying the dates...it's all in the detail, isn't it!   

Cheers,

Clive