Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AOK4

Hello,

I just received a very unhelpful reply from a "customer service executive" of the IWM. I was inquiring about aerial pictures (from the "Box collection" and had asked about the availability of aerial pictures from certain coordinates (which I listed). In the old days, one could get photocopies of the file cards and then order pictures.

I received the answer "You can find most of the images, films, documents, sound and more in our collection in our online catalogue. Unfortunately we cannot help you identify individual items as we have a very large collection and do not have the resources to search for customers. However, most of our collection is listed (many with images) on our website."

Why the bloody hell did I send an e-mail, does this "executive" think? Because they are NOT to be found online...

Does anyone have recent experiences with ordering aerial pictures from the "Box collection"? How should I proceed?

I have the impression that this is nowadays in more and more archives/museums/etc the problem. Most of the preople there have no knowledge at all of what there is to be found in the collections of their respective institutions...

Jan

Just now, GreyC said:

A you sure it was a human executive or was it a bot? Maybe not much difference at the IWM?

GreyC

Well, I assume the reply came from a human as it took about two weeks... But a bot would have probably replied the same.

Jan

• 1 month later...

So, no one can give me an answer on my question? Well, I guess the IWM can just as well bring the glass plates of these aerial pictures to the recyclcing center then if there's no means any more how to access them or even get a reply from the IWM how to access the index files...

Another example of how knowledge just gets lost these days if it isn't "online"...

I have had similar experiences with the National German Film Archive.

I inquired about the availability of a film (35mm) and was answered that they didn´t have a copy. Only when I mailed them their inventary number of this film (I accquired it through a friend) they told me they had it and that it was available for onsite viewing.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC