Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which resources are available exclusively on ancestry?

Skipman

My ancestry subscription ends on 16th December and I won't be renewing it for a while. I'm keeping my FMP subscription and am hoping to take a digital copy of documents relating to the men I'm researching that are only available on ancestry.co.uk

Which resources are available exclusively on ancestry. Medal Rolls, Silver War Badge Rolls, anything else?

Mike

War Diaries although currently free on Nat Archives (long may it continue). 

Medal Index Card reverse side address for officers. But also free!

Soldiers Effects.

Discharged index for post 1919 born before 1901. (Although can still be downloaded elsewhere perhaps?)

Edited by charlie962

32 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Which resources are available exclusively on ancestry. Medal Rolls, Silver War Badge Rolls, anything else?

My local library service went from subscribing to Ancestry to subscribing to FindMyPast about six years ago. I very quickly found that the document I missed even more than the Medal Roll was the Register of Soldiers Effects.

8 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Medal Index Card reverse side address for officers. But also free!

You'll still have a log on with Ancestry and some documents can still be seen for free. In the military section that includes the Medal Index Cards. And when they have a free weekend on Fold3 you can still use your Ancestry log-in to gain access.

Cheers,
Peter

Many thanks for replies. Appreciate your help and if you can think of any more please do post. I will start downloading the docs I need.

:thumbsup:

Mike

I'm thinking of not renewing at the end of the month, although I have just renewed fold 3 for $49 for next year. So hopefully will be able to get some ancestry through that.

From then , where??? Fmp, fwr??? 

The entirety of the RN medal rolls are available via Ancestry. FMP has coverage of: Officers' medal rolls, Royal Marines ORs medal rolls, RNVR medal rolls and 1914 Star roll of the Admiralty. (All of these WW1 medal rolls are within the ADM 171 series of documents.)

The older men of the Royal Navy do not have their Statements of Service (ADM 188) on FMP, whereas the coverage of this record set on Ancestry is complete.

2 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

The older men of the Royal Navy do not have their Statements of Service (ADM 188) on FMP, whereas the coverage of this record set on Ancestry is complete.

Again currently free on Nat Archives I think but until...?