Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Quarry Cemetery Montauban

Bennett

Does anyone have an image of the Special Memorial of the 7 soldiers from KSLI who KIA/ DOW on July 14, 1916. Burial returns show crosses attributed to them, but their graves were apparently later lost, and they are listed on Thiepval.

Their names may appear on a stone to 'Believed to be buried' or perhaps listed on the Special Memorial.

I can contact CWGC but was hoping someone might hold an image? Thanks much

Thanks very much Andrew. I have this photo. My understanding is that Another special memorial exists for 7 men of the 7th KSLI. Hopefully see attached. Thanks again Ralph

doc2330613.JPG

Follow up to above

Thank you for your email regarding the commemoration of Lieutenant Charles Patrick Caesar.

I would explain that the Concentration documentation for Quarry Cemetery, Montauban does confirm that initially there was a commemoration for Lieutenant Charles Patrick Caesar within the cemetery however it was a memorial cross rather than an actual grave marker. It was later decided that he had no known grave and so commemoration by name on the Thiepval Memorial, a Memorial to the Missing, was appropriate.

To explain the significance of memorial crosses, these were installed at war cemeteries, by the comrades of those who had perished, to commemorate casualties who were known to have been killed, but whose bodies had not been recovered for burial. The use of memorial crosses was later superseded when it was decided that casualties with no known grave would be commemorated by name on Memorials to the Missing. On occasion these memorial crosses were mistaken for actual grave markers, but such issues were resolved during the Grave Registration process.

I appreciate that my reply might come as a disappointment, but I hope that the explanation provided does illustrate that commemoration of Lieutenant Charles Patrick Caesar, by name on Thiepval Memorial is appropriate as unfortunately he has no known grave.