Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loos 1915- message transcription

Howard

I would appreciate any help deciphering hand writing of two messages written during the Battle of Loos on 25th Sept 1915 by 2nd Lt. P. Choat of B Company 1st Middlesex. Both are from WO-95-1364-2_1, page 55.

The second message appears to have the wrong date. According to the War Diary, “Throughout the night of 24th-25th September, final preparations were made, and, at 3.30 a.m. on the latter date, the Brigade reported that all units were in positions of assembly in the trenches south of the La Bassée road from Gun Street to R.1; the Middlesex on the right holding from R.1 to D crater, and the Highlanders from the latter to Gun Street." 

1st Middlesex attacked Les Briques Farm and were held up 100 yards from the their front line.

This is what I think they say

To Adjutant 1st Middlesex Regiment

8:30 AM   No.1

“B” Co. attack held up 100 years out of our trench. Major Swanson (recorded ?) “B” Co. knocked out. -few (unreadable) left stand fast

P. Choat, 2nd Lt.

and

To Adjutant 1st Middlesex

10:50 AM   No.2

So far as I can ascertain “B” Co. is mainly wiped out. A few ( .....unreadable ....)  100 yards in front of our front trenches, to left of wrecked aeroplane and facing Les Briques Farm. I have not enough (unreadable) to advance further. Can you reinforce or give order?

P. Choat, 2nd Lt. “B” Co.

Sept 24 1915

Howard

1stMid mesage-1.jpg

1stMid mesage-2.jpg

B company attack held up 100 YARDS out of our trench.

Major Swanson WOUNDED,  B Co knocked out. 

FOUR MEN left standfast 

1st Midd P Choats  2nd Lt

Edited by charlie962

8 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

B company attack held up 100 YARDS out of our trench.

Major Swanson WOUNDED,  B Co knocked out. 

FOUR MEN left standfast 

1st Midd P Choats  2nd Lt

That was quick! Many thanks

Howard

So far as I can ascertain “B” Co. is mainly NEARLY wiped out. A few ( .....unreadable ....)MEN ARE LYING NEAR ??  100 yards in front of our front trenches, to left of wrecked aeroplane and facing Les Briques Farm. I have not enough (unreadable) MEN to advance further. Can you reinforce or give orderS?

11 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Dramatic first hand messages. Thank you for posting.

Yes it is dramatic- I would think he had been up the whole night before preparing for the attack so was tired, then he saw most of his men cut down and he was still under the machine gun fire from not far away and the British gas swirling around. I would be pleased if I could then still write a message and get it back to HQ.

The message make sense now, many thanks.

Howard

To Adjutant 1st Middlesex Regiment

8:30 AM   No.1

“B” Co. attack held up 100 yards out of our trench. Major Swanson wounded, “B” Co. knocked out - four men left stand fast.

P. Choat, 2nd Lt.

To Adjutant 1st Middlesex

10:50 AM   No.2

So far as I can ascertain “B” Co. is nearly wiped out. A few men are lying near me 100 yards in front of our front trenches, to left of wrecked aeroplane and facing Les Briques Farm. I have not enough men to advance further. Can you reinforce or give order?

P. Choat, 2nd Lt. “B” Co.

Sept 24 1915

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Minor point but I think it says 'orders' 

Charlie

Many thanks.

Howard