Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

london regiment cloth badges

poona guard

1 hour ago, poona guard said:

Which battalion is this?

image.jpeg.036e635aaaae19fd713c3a2cdffe3b88.jpeg

6th City of London Battalion (City of London Rifles), I believe.  As one of the battalion’s with a past KRRC connection they commonly wore a piece of scarlet felt behind the badge when out of the line.

2BD438C3-51AA-49B3-84D4-BD0FBEA56C7B.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Thanks. I knew that but can't place the cloth badges with the information. Do you reckon about 1916?

Yes I think probably straddling 1916-17.  I do appreciate how difficult the London Regiment is due to it’s interrupted existence.  I’m not sure who holds the best records, the local Borough archives, or the Imperial War Museum.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Complicated. Much to think about with this one.

Yes I agree, that’s why I deeply admire that you do not publish until you are ready, and I support you in that.   You have a hard act to follow from your first two books, especially given the peculiarities of the TF

Edited by FROGSMILE

It is proving the most difficult of the three, especially the London Regiment. I have so much information but there are conflicts between it and the photos. I will process and publish as soon as I can make complete sense of it and find illustrations as well. I might put out a request for specific photos in the near future.

Best,

Dave

It is proving the most difficult of the three, especially the London Regiment. I have so much information but there are conflicts between it and the photos. I will process and publish as soon as I can make complete sense of it and find illustrations as well. I might put out a request for specific photos in the near future.

Best,

Dave

I suspect that the occasional conflict between information and images are largely because of changes between 1916-1918, but I know you will be aware of that from the earlier work.  It will be worth the wait to get it as right as possible.  I have been staggered by the quality to date.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, poona guard said:

thanks. perhaps we should meet up one day.

Perhaps we can arrange it at some point in the future.  

Where do you live?

South Devon.  PM me if/when you’re down this way.  I’m not able to travel much.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, poona guard said:

Hi,

Which london Battalion do you reckon this is?

Best,

Dave

6th City of London Battalion (City of London Rifles), was my earlier assessment Dave?  The cap badge’s shape at its centre gives it away.

Afternote: apologies, I misunderstood your question, I see now that you meant which line was the battalion in the photo.  caladonia appears to have sorted it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hello Poona Guard

Hope you don't mind a keen amateut chipping in?

I would think these chaps are 2/6th battalion, 58th Div, the 1/6th wore a yellow heart shape and the 3/6th stayed in the UK,  the dark blue square showing light in the photo. The patch above the square could be a coy coloured arc, also blue? i don't know if the 2/6th wore these arcs but the 2/10th, in the same division, did.

William

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2022 at 22:30, caladonia said:

Hello Poona Guard

Hope you don't mind a keen amateut chipping in?

I would think these chaps are 2/6th battalion, 58th Div, the 1/6th wore a yellow heart shape and the 3/6th stayed in the UK,  the dark blue square showing light in the photo. The patch above the square could be a coy coloured arc, also blue? i don't know if the 2/6th wore these arcs but the 2/10th, in the same division, did.

William

Based purely on the evidence from the cloth badges, I would agree. The only thing I might add is to say that whilst it could be the 2/6th Bn. up until Feb 1918, if the photo was taken after that date, they would be men of the ‘6th Bn.’ at that point. 

(That is, if the badge below the shoulder title is a square shape. The badge on the soldier standing almost looks like it has indentations on it. Perhaps it is just the folds on his jacket). 

Chris