Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Italy WW1 campaign medal

tomisitt

I’ve just acquired this, it’s a campaign medal awarded to British, French and Italian officers who served together on the Altopiano in 1918. My grandfather served there with the 48th Division, but as far as I know didn’t receive one (I have his other medals). I was wondering if any were given to British or French troops? Does anyone know any more about this? Thanks.

22120529-B36A-4683-8710-AF40F6844CAD.jpeg

34B3BC87-4FB0-4375-B1F7-9F5CA72D0E7E.jpeg

I believe it was War Office policy that overseas war medals were not to be received, there should be only those medals from the combatant's own army. This is why there are MICs that document rejection of campaign medal requests to French and Belgian soldiers, a number of whom were interpreters and who served in British units on attachment.

Although not officially sanctioned by the War Office for official wear, as per the above, I got the impression a fair few were acquired by British Army officers as souvenirs of their time in Italy.

The award of foreign gallantry medals is different to that of foreign campaign medals.

Ah, I should probably have searched the forum before posting that. Doh! Thanks for the info and heads-up, much appreciated.