Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual ‘MO’ patch placement (NZ)

tankengine888

Hello!

Whilst looking through a gallery of photos, I saw this one.

ED6BC68D-CCF0-4BFC-97C7-19611CD03915.jpeg.ba008cce6c2ce1fc4c35c3a7a1e69db7.jpeg
this is Sergeant Frederick Watson being awarded the DCM by Birdie!

he has a patch on his left arm bearing ‘MO’ with a slight ‘s’ at the end.. what does this by chance denote? I’d be grateful for any response.

Zidane

20 minutes ago, ForeignGong said:

I would have thought that was MG in the wreath for a Machine Gunner

Peter

AAMG.JPG

To my young and probably ill-advised mind and eyes, it seems it is more O shaped than the G on that patch.

Zidane.

4 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

Hello!

Whilst looking through a gallery of photos, I saw this one.

ED6BC68D-CCF0-4BFC-97C7-19611CD03915.jpeg.ba008cce6c2ce1fc4c35c3a7a1e69db7.jpeg
this is Sergeant Frederick Watson being awarded the DCM by Birdie!

he has a patch on his left arm bearing ‘MO’ with a slight ‘s’ at the end.. what does this by chance denote? I’d be grateful for any response.

Zidane

I agree with Peter.  It’s a larger than usual badge and not of standard issue type.  Badges were sometimes made up locally via native tailors shops in the Souk and I think that’s probably the case here. The letters appear to be M and G in large capitals, instead of cursive letters, with the latter having a short tail. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

27 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I agree with Peter.  It’s a larger than usual badge and not of standard issue type.  Badges were sometimes made up locally via native tailors shops in the Souk and I think that’s probably the case here. The letters appear to be M and G in large capitals, instead of cursive letters, with the latter having a short tail. 

Yeah I'll agree now I suppose. Thanks for confirming FROGSMILE! Just looks very unusual with both placement and lettering.

Zidane.

39 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Yeah I'll agree now I suppose. Thanks for confirming FROGSMILE! Just looks very unusual with both placement and lettering.

Zidane.

It is indeed unusual.  When there were sometimes supply chain difficulties all sorts of work arounds were resorted to. In Souks/Bazaars/Markets where soldiers could routinely buy embroidered silk souvenirs for their loved ones, it wasn’t hard to get hand stitched badges.  Cap badges were also commonly made up using sand casting techniques used for decades past in places like Egypt and Mesopotamia.  It wasn’t so common in France and Flanders so perhaps it came from previous service in the Middle East. It’s clearly not an Ordnance issue pattern badge.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Sorry for late response, been very car-sick.
Interesting what you've written there! I did suspect that they could get items of all sorts from markets but interesting to hear patches and that. Anyways thank you for the responses!
Last school day today so I'll probably be asking more questions though all in good time.
Zidane