Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Store Scandals 1906: What were they?

rolt968

Can anyone tell me about the War Store Scandals of 1906? I believe that a cousin of a man I am researching was forced to resign his commission as a result of the scandals.

The following appeared in the Henley and South Oxfordshire Standard of 15 October 1906. Similar information appeared in other newspapers:

184434995_ASCScandal1.jpg.a362a4f727afb8c55a428d462f8eb59b.jpg992754881_ASCScandal2.jpg.c71e077088e2326a2a03c611156fd8f8.jpg

I can't help with this particular  one, but there was a similar case brought to trial in 1914.  Known as The Canteen Case,  a Lt Colonel and several warrant officers were brought to trial for accepting bribes from Liptons to supply regimental canteens. Some of Lipton's managers were also charged. It might be that this was a similar thing.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Just to add to Terry's post, from my notes:

The early months of 1914 saw much media coverage about the "canteens scandal" involving army officers and staff of Lipton's, the company that provided catering services at many military camps, including those on Salisbury Plain. One of the defendants was Frederick William Owen, who was an inspector in the Salisbury branch of the military department, of Lipton Ltd. A former employee testified that Lipton's had been forced to do what other contractors did in the way of "arrangements" and that the company had lost several contracts for the Salisbury Plain encampments because it refused to give as much commission as others had.

To return to 1906, I see there was also a scandal that year about government stores in South Africa several years earlier.

Hi Rolt - Moonraker is correct - It was in relation to stores in the Sth African war - sold without authority.  There was a major commission of enquiry set up by UK Parliament. 

see:  https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1906/nov/19/south-african-war-stores-inquiry

Andrew

Edited by aconnolly
link added

Thank you both! I had wondered why there were no reports of courts martial.

EM

Mate,

We had the same thing in early 1916 in Egypt where a number of AASC and other officers were returned and dismissed over fugging the books over the Gallipoli Campaign.

A number of good officers got caught up in the broom that throw the rear area sods

While none appear charged the were not so quitely sent home.

So Armies all appear to have the same problems

S.B

On 30/11/2022 at 06:45, aconnolly said:

Hi Rolt - Moonraker is correct - It was in relation to stores in the Sth African war - sold without authority.  There was a major commission of enquiry set up by UK Parliament. 

see:  https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1906/nov/19/south-african-war-stores-inquiry

Andrew

Which was a fluke, as I'd thought that they were two separate scandals, rolt968's article not referring to South Africa!