Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Brigade, Royal Horse Artillery

Plan

I'm interested in finding the location of the 5th Brigade of the Royal Horse Artillery around Nov. 30th 1917 and actions, if any, they may have been involved in at the times.

I'll also take the opportunity of this first post to express my amazement at the level of expertise of this forum's contributors: from vintage Triumph motorcycles, to tanks, to geology! It certainly is a tribute to the better side of the internet.

Pascal

Canada

Guest birdflightless

Hi Pascal,

The following brief mentions of the 5th Brigade RHA are taken from Fardale's 'History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery' -Western Front 1914-18.

Battle of Cambrai - 20th-28th November 1917.

The first reference is that the 4th & 5th Brigades were under the command of the 51st Highland Division, from Calvary Corps.

Later in the battle the artilery were regrouped at 'Brown Line', where the 5th came under the command of 310 Brigade for the attack on Graincourt.

On the 30th November 1917, the Germans Counter attacked at Cambrai and the 5th were facing the line, near to the village of Fontaine, in the 47th Divisional sector.

Hope some of this helps

Stewart