Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naming (with Alias)

tankengine888

Hello!

I just wanted to ask a quick question.. 524 Bernard James Olson, 10th Battalion, AIF was also known as John McCabe. He embarked (October 1914) as Bernard James Olson and was deemed unfit on New Year’s Day 1915 in Egypt. He went back to Australia, discharged in June 1915. He re-enlisted as 2954 John McCabe from September 1915 to January 1918 after being wounded in the leg.

I understand that they name medals on when the first entered a theatre of war, which would mean they would name his 2954 J McCabe as opposed to 524 B J Olson right?
Zidane

Edited by tankengine888

Hi

I don't think so, look at his service record. Also note spelling of surname.

2nd last page has 524 Pte Olsen, Bernard James 10th Btn then 2954 Pte Olsen BJ 2nd Btn (alias McCabe John).

Last page shows 1914-15 Star being issued, but nothing else and no stamps as usually done on the last page of service records.

Should be named Olsen, number should be his first one but without sighting the star, who knows.

Interesting story!! 

regards

Robert

Thanks for that Robert!

Sidenote; he served in the 2/AIF by dropping his age to 40 in 1940. He died of an Illness in April 1943, no doubt to service in P.N.G.
Zidane

Very side issue, but a man named Harry Taylor left work one day and never arrive home.  He had attested in the AIF under the name "John Stone" and served as a Lieutenant on the Western front (21st Battalion) .  He was killed in action 3 August 1916.  A large amount of correspondence ultimately proved Stone was Taylor.  At the end of the war his wife refused his medals as they were in his assumed name.    The medals were never picked up by any family member.

Very interesting.. thanks for the story!

Must rush as I've got cadets.

Zidane