Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New purchase with provenance - Gallipoli Days and Nights by Trooper L McCustra

seaJane

A present to myself - serendipitously discovered when searching for information on Arthur Agius (who is quoted in several if not all of Lyn McDonald's books). The stamp is that of his father Edward Tancredi Agius, and the other signature is another Agius, but I have not so far identified who. Initial J A or J C?

And now I fancy trying to collect at least the Sailor Books on the back cover advert, and possibly the Soldier Books too. Did they ever publish any Airmen?

Gallipoli 1.jpg

Gallipoli 3.jpg

Gallipoli 4.jpg

Gallipoli 2.jpg

Gallipoli 5.jpg

Edited by seaJane

6 hours ago, seaJane said:

A present to myself - serendipitously discovered when searching for information on Arthur Agius (who is quoted in several if not all of Lyn McDonald's books). The stamp is that of his father Edward Tancredi Agius, and the other signature is another Agius, but I have not so far identified who. Initial J A or J C?

And now I fancy trying to collect at least the Sailor Books on the back cover advert, and possibly the Soldier Books too. Did they ever publish any Airmen?

Gallipoli 1.jpg

Gallipoli 3.jpg

Gallipoli 4.jpg

Gallipoli 2.jpg

Gallipoli 5.jpg

Nice find, SeaJane. I’ve been trying to collect them all for some years. This page of my website identifies all the different ones I’m aware of - 11 Soldier & 2 Sailor books. Never come across any Airmen ones though.

http://www.greatwardustjackets.co.uk/page48.html

I’ve seen the ‘Arthur Agius’ bookplate in one of my books but couldn’t tell you which one. I’ll try and find it.

7 hours ago, seaJane said:

another Agius, but I have not so far identified who. Initial J A or J C?

One of Arthur's many brothers was

Joseph Charles Agius, 1884–1960, Birth 11 JUN 1884 • Hampstead, Middlesex, England

See Ancestry tree - click  which has a wealth of family info eg on Arthur

3 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I’ve been trying to collect them all for some years.

Thank you! I've made a start, and have tracked down 'Songs of the Sailor Men' which should be arriving shortly.

1 hour ago, corisande said:

Joseph Charles Agius

Sounds like a possibility; thank you, and for the tree link.

sJ

On 28/11/2022 at 10:15, seaJane said:

Thank you! I've made a start, and have tracked down 'Songs of the Sailor Men' which should be arriving shortly.

Sounds like a possibility; thank you, and for the tree link.

sJ

Found the one I was looking for & it’s another of the ‘Soldier’ books. Looks as if he was trying to collect the whole set as well.281524F2-BFD0-4E00-B83D-3FD12CA93ADA.jpeg.f809736e76dfd8122b6376400b5aaafb.jpegF2869AFE-030D-426C-BEF3-4681C071A713.jpeg.d55a427eb6b7c96b76b6702483669935.jpeg

Hah. I'll let you know if I find any more!

• 6 months later...
On 28/11/2022 at 00:35, seaJane said:

Gallipoli 1.jpg

Gallipoli 3.jpg

Gallipoli 4.jpg

Gallipoli 2.jpg

Gallipoli 5.jpg

Hi ,   Apologies for coming late to this thread.  I haven't been into GWF in a while so I thought I'd pop in to see if there were any new references to my g-uncles in the war!

I'm  one of Arthur's many great-nephews  and I inherited many of his books with the  'ex libris Arthur Agius' sticker - so well done on finding this one.   I can confirm what others have said... the signature is my grandfather's  -  Joseph Charles Agius -  and the stamp is that of great-grandfather's coal shipping business   Ed T Agius Ltd.  The business was closed in 1929 after years of decline  primarily due to the Navy switching from coal fueling to oil.   At the start of the war  Joseph was the eldest living son looking after the business in the City, and had already started a family (my Dad born in 1912)  so stayed home while his 5 younger brothers went off to war.   You can read their story on my family website http://agiusww1.com/about/    and in particular  Arthur's  http://agiusww1.com/arthur/     

I inherited an amazing sequence of letters home from the front ...from Arthur to his fiancee (and wife when they married in 1916)  and we posted these 100 years to the day during the WW1 centenary.    Another treasure is a cassette recording of  Lyn McDonald interviewing Arthur  (early 70s)  much of which she used verbatim in her books.

I see another of your responders has found our family tree on ancestry that I'm responsible for.

Cheers!

Peter

arthur-resized.jpg

22 minutes ago, pagius said:

Cheers!

Peter

Thank you Peter for calling in - pleased to "meet" you and thanks too for that fascinating background information.

sJ