Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kut - Melliss or Townsend. Am I due a visit to my optician?

TullochArd

As is the way in military history I've grasped a slender thread of interest and am following it as far as it will lead me.

On the way to the end of this thread, which is likely actually out of scope for GWF ....... that is what is the single medal that Major General Sir Charles John Melliss, VC, KCB, KCMG is seen wearing on his right breast ....... I had cause to venture into the world of Wikipedia.

But back to GWF business ........ I now seek your wise counsel. 

The attached photo from Wikipedia claims to be of General Melliss. 

It looks remarkably like Major General Sir Charles Vere Ferrers Townshend, KCB, DSO to me. 

Am I due a visit to my optician? 

CharlesJohnMelliss.jpg 

Charles Melliss - Wikipedia

Edited by TullochArd

• TullochArd changed the title to Kut - Melliss or Townsend. Am I due a visit to my optician?

I don't think Melliss ever openly criticised Townshend?

Would he have been amused by this wiki error? 

Townshend was good on words but Melliss was good on deeds, as show (quite apart from his VC) by his practical efforts to better the care of the soldiers captured at Kut and to intervene with their captors. Sadly mostly in vain. 

Townshend seemed to forget his men very quickly. 

37 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

That is clearly Townshend!!

...... thanks Charlie.

The Wikipedia mistake is at the top of this entry but there are two correct portraits farther down: http://www.vconline.org.uk/sir-charles-j-melliss-vc/4587637925.html .

Edited by seaJane

6 hours ago, seaJane said:

The Wikipedia mistake is at the top of this entry but there are two correct portraits farther down: http://www.vconline.org.uk/sir-charles-j-melliss-vc/4587637925.html .

Thanks seaJane ........ and the lower portrait also now answers my question on the right breast medal ....... Imperial British East Africa Company Medal

Glad I could help :).

On 28/11/2022 at 09:13, TullochArd said:

Thanks seaJane ........ and the lower portrait also now answers my question on the right breast medal ....... Imperial British East Africa Company Medal

The medal being worn by Melliss on the right side is the Royal Humane Society's Bronze Medal, for saving life. It was earned under the following circumstances:

"On the 11th May 1899, a trimmer, when mad with drink, jumped overboard from the SS Sokoto, when off Cape Coast Castle. These waters are much infested with sharks. [Andrew] Price, [Charles] Horn, [Captain C.J.] Mellis and [A.J.] Langley all jumped in and, with their united efforts, managed to rescue the man."

Bart

5 hours ago, Bartimeus said:

The medal being worn by Melliss on the right side is the Royal Humane Society's Bronze Medal, for saving life. It was earned under the following circumstances:

"On the 11th May 1899, a trimmer, when mad with drink, jumped overboard from the SS Sokoto, when off Cape Coast Castle. These waters are much infested with sharks. [Andrew] Price, [Charles] Horn, [Captain C.J.] Mellis and [A.J.] Langley all jumped in and, with their united efforts, managed to rescue the man."

Bart

Thanks Bart.  I stand corrected and thank you.  Some citation .......... "when mad with drink" 

I'm also happy my aged eyes are up to facial recognition regarding the photo although they clearly have me on medal identification.  I will go to the opticians after all.

Royal Humane Society Bronze.jpg

Edited by TullochArd