Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers

Ell

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to find a photo of my distant family member Frederick Allison. He served in the Northumberland Fusiliers (1st Tyneside Irish) and his reg. no. is 45683. I was hoping you could tell me where exactly to start looking. TIA

Bio on the internet

HERE

As the source of a photo I would suggest looking in the Barnard Castle area local papers

Ray

The Tyneside Irish Cultural Society has a project dedicated to the Tyneside Irish Brigade. They may be able to help.

Tyneside Irish Brigade Memories - Tyneside Irish Cultural Society 

As has already been suggested looking in local newspapers for the Barnard Castle area is probably a reasonable bet.

Any such photo will probably have been a privately-commissioned one [a quite common event before going overseas] as the military did not normally take photos of single Other Rankers [except perhaps unless a military award was/had been made]

We can see from a pension card at WFA that after his death his widow was living in Barnard Castle and got a £3 grant for post-death incidental expenses - commonly such might include the taking out of a newspaper entry(ies) with photo.

Of course there were other earlier reasons for a photo potentially appearing in the press prior to his death, including sometimes as part of a 'news from the front' type of item associated with a published letter sent home, so also worth expanding your search to his whole service period.

The British National Archive and Find My Past do have some online resources but you may also need to contact the local library service to see if they have kept any newspaper records - potentially on microfilm or perhaps less likely as hard copy, so could be quite a challenge.

Good luck.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

As an aside 

Fredericks widow Maria Allison (nee Jones) married Robert William Bousfield in the March Qte of 1920

Robert was a discharged soldier  Pte 611 Northumberland Fusiliers, Discharged from service on the 9th March 1919

his address on discharge is listed as Thorngate Barnard Castle Co Durham

Ray

51 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

contact the local library service

If you are in the North East, Newcastle City Library (Sixth Floor info desk) holds copies of the Illustrated Chronicle. 

The publications contain many photographs of those who were lost from the Northumberland Fusiliers.

24 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

If you are in the North East, Newcastle City Library (Sixth Floor info desk) holds copies of the Illustrated Chronicle. 

The publications contain many photographs of those who were lost from the Northumberland Fusiliers.

The photos are also online 

I have checked Frederick is  drawing a blank

Ray