Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the quarries at Loos oct 1915 pictures????

weshallremember

• Michelle Young changed the title to the quarries at Loos oct 1915 pictures????

I have an interest in The Quarries. My Great Uncle Dan Morris first saw action there on 25/09/1915. He was with 2 Bn Yorkshire Regt, 21 Infantry Brigade, 7 Div. 

The September 1915 WD of 20 Infantry Brigade of 7 Div, WO 95/1652/1-2 (Ancestry p 400 - 412), has maps and six aerial photographs. I do not think that they cover the Quarries though.

The October 1915 WD of 37 Infantry Brigade of 12 Div, WO 95/1858 has a good map of the Quarries (Ancestry p 134) in Squares G 6 c and G 12 a.

The October 1915 WD of 139 Infantry Brigade of 46 Div HQ, WO 95/2692 has a map which shows the Quarries (Ancestry p 257) followed by a series of aerial photographs. The railway junction in the map in square G 3 b can be seen in the first map. The second map, according to the legend might just show The Quarries.

Brian 

I have an interest in the quarries to as that’s where my great great uncle fell in 1915

• Admin

There’s two photos on eBay. Search Quarries  Hulluch. 

• Admin

A google image search for the Quarries Hulluch also brings up an Alamy Stock photo. 

The October 1915 WD of 139 Infantry Brigade of 46 Div HQ, WO 95/2692 has a map which shows the Quarries (Ancestry p 257) followed by a series of aerial photographs. The railway junction in the map in square G 3 b can be seen in the first map. The second map, according to the legend might just show The Quarries.

THANKS Brian 

the second map looks close

a cross section of g5-6 and g11-12 might just be left of the quarries

looking at my map

trevor

quarry map.png

Good evening,

is it really that of Loos?
for there was one on Auchy les Mines and Hulluch.

for Loos:
I have this card where it appears :

1487336803_DSC_0092-Copie.JPG.60cf46088275e1e5072183b006f62f7b.JPG

Overlay of this map on Google Earth :

1516668343_Loosquarries-Copie.jpg.06eca2851330fba939f99cdd623939e3.jpg

red : quarries

green : Canadian memorial

blue : Loos British Cemetery

// : ring road A21

/ 1 : rue roger Salengro

/2 : route de Béthune

I'll take a closer look at what else I have on this one next week.

Kind regards

michel

Re the map I referred to earlier from the WD of 139 IB. Note the railway junction in G 3 b. The first photograph shows the junction in the top left and the x on the plan is on the top left. The x on the plan you have just posted from photograph number 2 is I estimate at G 5 b 9 1 so I have assumed that the x marks the top left of the photo. I have struggled to align it in the past.

Brian 

map.jpg

photo.jpg

• Admin

I think the OP needs to quantify which quarries he means. I’ve always taken the quarries to mean the Hulluch ones. There is of course also  the Quarry near the Hohenzollern Redoubt.  

i am convinced that the aerial photo grid references

are the quarries#

they match perfectly with the hand drawn map

trevor 

12 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I think the OP needs to quantify which quarries he means. I’ve always taken the quarries to mean the Hulluch ones. There is of course also  the Quarry near the Hohenzollern Redoubt.  

Michelle

I did look at the Quarry in G 4 but I have always taken the Quarries to be the Hulluch ones in G 6 c and G 12 a. I have looked at photo 2 from all angles and checked all the other photos in the batch. The only one I can align is photo no 1 which shows the railway junction.

Brian 

Edited by brianmorris547

Trevor

Yesterday I mentioned that there is a good map in the October WD of 37 ID, 12 Div, which I think is the one you later posted. Have you seen the photograph on p 121 which relates to the Ops on 13/10/1915 by 35 IB and 37 IB.

Brian

2nd aerial photo

is a28 and a29 plus g4 and g5

it says in writing mad point in the top left hand corner

which you can see on the map in red writing grid a28

image.png.265b004faeb243580d799763494edd5c.png

Edited by weshallremember
error

so they both match to the map grid references

so the last aerial photo

g5 to 6 plus g11 to 12

must be the quarries

as the grid references also match 

trevor

• Admin
4 hours ago, weshallremember said:

image.png.5d67f206f83835c5b650255e4d9c00dc.png

This is the Vermelles quarry area, the photo shows Mad Pont and Madagascar 

And the penultimate photograph in the 139 IB series covering G 6 & H 1 and G 12 & H 7 shows buildings which are clearly Cite St Elie. It just misses The Quarries.

Brian