The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for a John Fleming, Co. Mayo. Not 3947L

Patrick J. Clarke

Any other clues please?

Died. Birth date. Widow/Wife. Town/village/residence

Thanks 

George

Fleming John Private Connaught Rangers Ardnaree, Ballina, County Mayo 08/07/1918 Died at his home in Ardnaree, Ballina, County Mayo, from pulmonary tuberculosis 2 years certified. United Kingdom Book of Remembrance.
  • Serial No: 3820
  • Unit: 3rd Battalion
  • Born: Kilmore Moy, Ballina, County Mayo
  • Enlisted: Galway
  • Next of Kin: Son of Patrick Fleming, Ardnaree, Ballina, County Mayo. Father of Mary Kate, Patrck, John and Maria Fleming. Married Bridget Horkan, Ballina, County Mayo, in 1904.
  • Grave or Memorial:
  • Notes: Died after discharge. Discharged on 24/05/1915- no longer physically fit for war service-Tubercle of lung. Served in the Boer War. His records show he was born in 1882. Accepted for inclusion in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and added to the database on 06/08/2021.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75464836/john-fleming/

He's the same one I came up with but didn't want to jump in too early!

Name: John Fleming
Record Type: Card
Death Date: 8 Jul 1918
Service Number: 3820
Corps, Regiment or Unit: Connaught Rgrs.

John Fleming 

Bridget Fleming Widow

Mary Kate Fleming Child

Patrick Fleming Children

John Fleming Children

Maria Fleming Children

George

Quite honestly I thought in unbelievable that the OP  starts a thread with the bald  "Looking for a John Fleming, Co. Mayo. Not 3947L "

Tom may, or may not be right with this man, but there are lots that it might have been. Without any facts to hang an identification on, the identification cannot be proven :(

Tom :thumbsup:

Corisande :P

I appreciate your comments and agree with you…but let us just bask a minute!

George

Edited by George Rayner

Would like to thank most sincerely those that replied to the post. I had not any info on this man and when writing my book on the war I did not come across him, although another John Fleming lost his life on the 13/11/1914, no. 3947, Connaught Rangers, and his brother Michael, no. 3950. I have been trying to find where he is buried, as there is a big cemetery in our town, but, so far, no trace. The information on the posts from your great researchers is outstanding. So, thanks again and if I find out where he is buried I will upload info. Cheers from Ballina, Co. Mayo.

I have since found out from his enlistment papers that he joined up in November, 15th, 1910, and that he was 28 years and 5 months. His regiment was the 3rd Battn. Connaught Rangers (Special Reservists). He was born in Kilmoremoy, Ballina, Co. Mayo. Thanks again.

So P.J. Clarke old son, have we the right man you reckon?

21 hours ago, Patrick J. Clarke said:

I have since found out from his enlistment papers that he joined up in November, 15th, 1910, and that he was 28 years and 5 months. His regiment was the 3rd Battn. Connaught Rangers (Special Reservists). He was born in Kilmoremoy, Ballina, Co. Mayo. Thanks again.

He seems to have had service before 1910, if museumtom is correct regarding the service he mentions during the 2nd Boer War.  Perhaps he served originally with a Connaught Rangers Militia Battalion that later became the 3rd Special Reserve Battalion.  Before July 1881 the county had sustained two militia regiments, one each for North and South Mayo.

73B5D8EA-719F-4143-AA62-2F84EC1EF56B.jpeg

9CA6FE5F-37A0-495D-85CE-4F09947DE556.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

30 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Good one Frogsmile, great badges too!

Indeed the badges are very attractive.  The two units eventually merged to form 3rd Militia Battalion the Connaught Rangers (the South Mayo remaining separate until 1889!) and as I suspected were embodied in support of the 2nd Anglo/Boer War between March 1900 and July 1901.

To my surprise the 4th Militia Battalion (ex Co Galway) and 5th Militia Battalion (ex Co Roscommon) were also embodied, which was quite an extraordinary effort for a small regimental area such as that of the Connaught’s as a whole.

NB.  It’s clear that the Roscommon insignia played some part in the badges chosen for the Connaught Rangers re-creation as a Territorial based regiment in 1881 (although the regular 88th had, happily for the merger, worn very similar).

806BF385-5B21-4D87-B02D-018013CDB1DA.jpeg

08DAF1A5-7C6B-4148-B4EE-DA055C6DF922.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 25/11/2022 at 17:26, museumtom said:

Fleming John Private Connaught Rangers Ardnaree, Ballina, County Mayo 08/07/1918 Died at his home in Ardnaree, Ballina, County Mayo, from pulmonary tuberculosis 2 years certified. United Kingdom Book of Remembrance.

• Serial No: 3820

Here is one of 3820, John FLEMING's widow and family's pension claim cards

image.png.2f9f1bc7621bb3eaf6feafc384f7a4ec.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

Family details might perhaps help with burial [if in same grave] - I note another even younger John FLEMING

On 25/11/2022 at 17:48, Patrick J. Clarke said:

I had not any info on this man and when writing my book on the war I did not come across him, although another John Fleming lost his life on the 13/11/1914, no. 3947, Connaught Rangers, and his brother Michael, no. 3950. I have been trying to find where he is buried

Interestingly there are another three pension card for both John/J, FLEMING, 4/3947 [DoW]. and Michael/M. FLEMING 3950 [KiA] - a female dependant with the same name and address: Mrs Bridget FLEMING, Ardnaree, Ballina, Co Mayo - mother - is recorded = One suspects it wouldn't have been particularly easy disentangling such similarly-named!

Edit: It seems FLEMMING was an alternative spelling that has entered the MoP records and MIC

M

Edited by Matlock1418
edit