Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tr or not to Tr

Dirty Harry

Hello,

I know this should be blindingly obvious but ive hit the buffers on this one.  Below is a excert from 112 FA, I think it shows "wounded remaining 1, admitted 1, Tr 2, Remaining 0"

What on earth does Tr stand for, thats assuming it is Tr?

as a secondary question, it later mentions barge 106.  Ive never seen any records for barge transports, does that exist?

Thanks,

Paul

med evac 112fa.jpg

In that context Tr could be short for triage which is the sorting of cases into degrees of urgency. 

Barge transport was/is quite common in parts of northwestern Europe and was certainly used for moving medical cases during the great war.

I'd say it means transferred (or transported):

The first line is Rem (remaining or remainder) 1, Adm (admitted) 3, Tr (transferred) 4, Rem 0.

Second line: (wounded) Rem 91, Adm 16, Tr 81, Died 5, Rem 21.

Third line: (sick) Rem 20, Adm 16, To Duty 2, Tr 4, Rem 30.

Edited by Keith Brannen

3 hours ago, Keith Brannen said:

I'd say it means transferred

I agree.

Definition of 'Triage':

early 18th century (in the sense ‘the action of sorting items according to quality’): from French, from trier ‘separate out’. The current sense dates from the 1930s, from the military system of assessing the wounded on the battlefield.

Use over time for: triage
image.png.61a7b24abf69ceaa4a9fdeaef8f2ab16.png
Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I agree.

Definition of 'Triage':

early 18th century (in the sense ‘the action of sorting items according to quality’): from French, from trier ‘separate out’. The current sense dates from the 1930s, from the military system of assessing the wounded on the battlefield.

Use over time for: triage
image.png.61a7b24abf69ceaa4a9fdeaef8f2ab16.png

Not just military use. Its standard in disaster situations. Save the easily saveable first, then move to the more difficult cases.

Come to that, the last time, the last time I was in an A & E in Britain there was a notice on the wall saying that the most badly injured would be treated first. Triage in other words.

2 hours ago, Dirty Harry said:

Thanks for your replies

triage makes sense. 
thanks Alf I didn’t know tna had the barge diary’s 

Copy of my posts from 2014: 

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Has this now gone from Triage to Transferred and back to Triage?

Triage makes little sense as all injured would be triaged as a matter of course. Why record that?

In the example there are 3 admitted and 4 triaged? Is that making sense?

The 4 transferred are the 3 admitted plus the 1 remaining man.

TEW

Hi Paul,

might I suggest that Tr. may be more likely to be an abbreviation for Transferred?

My thinking here is that the Casualty Lists which were compiled (and we are very lucky to have very many of them on this thread: Casualty Lists - Page 85 - Other Great War Chat - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum (greatwarforum.org) have a number of set descriptions of what had happened to a casualty.  The most common were Admitted to ... or Transferred to/from ...   I do not recall seeing the term Triaged and as the graph DByS posted, the word 'triaged' appears to be much more commonly used now than it was at that time. 

Also, looking at the entries from the WD you posted, it looks as if, taking the first line as an example, they had one patient remaining, they then admitted a further three patients, then they transferred all four patients so that they had none remaining.  

Just a thought,

David.

EDIT - just seen that my post crossed with TEW's

Edited by David26

17 hours ago, Dirty Harry said:

Thanks for your replies

triage makes sense. 
thanks Alf I didn’t know tna had the barge diary’s 

Its just occurred to me that the treating casualties as they came in, not in order of seriousness led to many more deaths in the RN in Napoleonic and previously, times. Nelson, if you remember, was insistent about 'waiting his turn'. In his case it would not have mattered if he had been seen quickly as he was so badly injured, but a lot of men died - blood loss from flesh wounds, for a start - who could have been saved by triage.

Incidentally, the film Pearl Harbour has only one realistic scene, where a nurse is sorting casualties as they arrive at the hospital.

Just to recap...

Tr. means Transfer.

If the FA were practising Triage, then they would triage everybody, not just 2 patients.
So how would you decide to triage only 2? By triaging?...

It's illogical medically and grammatically.
It's not Triage.

It's Transfer.

• 3 weeks later...