Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lenah Hally GHQ France

OldFatherThames

Hi all, I am trying to track down a possible place or camp. Inscribed on a 18 pounder cartridge case that I have is inscribed the following:

'LENAH.HALLY.GHQ.FRANCE.'

I've been researching it, and take GHQ to mean General Headquarters, however cannot find anything relating to 'Lenah' or 'Hally’. I wondered if this was a misspelling of Halle?
Perhaps someone here might know something?

Any help at all would be much appreciated. 
Many thanks,

Marie

13 hours ago, OldFatherThames said:

Hi all, I am trying to track down a possible place or camp. Inscribed on a 18 pounder cartridge case that I have is inscribed the following:

'LENAH.HALLY.GHQ.FRANCE.'

I've been researching it, and take GHQ to mean General Headquarters, however cannot find anything relating to 'Lenah' or 'Hally’. I wondered if this was a misspelling of Halle?
Perhaps someone here might know something?

Any help at all would be much appreciated. 
Many thanks,

Marie

Hi Marie. Lena Hally was 'Worker' in he Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps, regimental number 4210, who according to her Medal Roll, attached, served in France between 26/07/18 and 09/10/19. and was awarded the Victory Medal and British War Medal. Note no H in Lena on the document but it could be an initial for her middle name, not noted on the record. 

There were QMAAC waitresses posted at GHQ in Montrieul https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205214308

I wonder if the shell case was made for her as a memento to her time in France, if it is the same person :) 

Additionally there is a Lena H Hally cremated 02/05/66 in Edinburgh.

F8F6DD75-3DC9-4536-9710-DE6BAB68C2BF_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

Marie. To add some information to the above Lena Holmes Hally was born in Edinburgh in 1896. The 1921 Census records she was employed as a 'Servant - Housemaid'  in Bromley, Kent. I have looked for other possible candidates but this seems to be the best. Her age is spot on for Great War service and employment could tally with her role working in the canteen at GHQ. 

There is Hally Copse at map reference 57c.B.10.a.7.4.

In TrenchMapper, put the reference in the left hand panel and click convert or put just Hally into Advanced Search. It will take you there.

It may not be what you are looking for but if the area is correct, may be a clue.

Howard