Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Hospital Sandwich -death of John Griffiths ,sapper 21st June 1918

lynneg

Hi

I am researching an ancestor of mine who died at the above hospital.He was a sapper in the RE IWT -service no 329770.I am trying to find out any information on how he came to died in Sandwich but seem at a dead end.Any ideas appreciated

Welcome to the forum,

I have had a look through the various records available on line but it looks like his service record has not survived.  There is a Medal Index Card showing that he was eligible for the War Medal and Victory medal so he served overseas, or on Cross Channel duties at some point.

I assume we are talking about John Griffiths born St Judes Bristol in 1888, Mother E Griffiths, a Dock Labourer by trade and buried in Bristol Greenbank cemetery?

He was in No.2 Operating Section IWT and would have been employed at Richborough Military Transportation Depot.

The easiest way to find his cause of death is to ask the General Register Office, google GRO, for his death certificate.  You will have to register and pay £11 for a hard copy.  You need the Volume and page number and district of his death which is Thanet, Vol 2A, Page 1234 and just follow the online instructions.  Whilst there were quite a few accidents and drownings at Richborough Port, I would think that it was probably influenza at that date.

Tony

Hi Tony ,thank you for the information-I never thought of flu but I shall get his death certificate.It seems such a shame as his brother George was died at 47CCS in France from injuries a few moths earlier.Lynne

On 20/11/2022 at 18:49, MerchantOldSalt said:

The easiest way to find his cause of death is to ask the General Register Office, google GRO, for his death certificate.  You will have to register and pay £11 for a hard copy.

Or £7 for a PDF excerpt.

M

On 20/11/2022 at 17:06, lynneg said:

I am researching an ancestor of mine who died at the above hospital.He was a sapper in the RE IWT -service no 329770

John GRIFFITHS, Royal Engineers.

A belated welcome to GWF.

His MIC and a pension card [at WFA/Fold3] provide another [seemingly/probably earlier] RE number for him: 242273 Edit; 243373

Pension cards indicate a Mrs Elizabeth WOODS, 18 East Street, St Pauls, Bristol - Guardian of child, "Edward" [very typically this guardian would be the child's mother, and might suggest young Edward was illegtimate, and/or she was John's remarried wife or mother ??] - perhaps something for you to further investigate. ??

All the best.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo/edit

2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

His MIC and a pension card [at WFA/Fold3] provide another [seemingly/probably earlier] RE number for him: 242273 Edit; 243373

My apology - a typo in that other number = 243373

M