Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When were German medals banned from being worn by British soldiers/subjects?

GreyC

If I remember correctly some German royalty auctioned off their British and other medals for charity some time into WW1. And German regiments were renamed in case they had British or other then hostile emporers as honorary chiefs. I wonder when were British subjects ordered to no longer wear German medals?

Maybe someone here could tell me? Help greatly appreciated.

GreyC

I'm not sure about the British auctioning off medals for charity GreyC but certainly there was a purge on all things Germanic at this time, widely characterised by the Royal family dropping the name Saxe-Coburg in favour of Windsor in 1917 and formally purging all German titles held within the Royal family. 

As an example, the Colonel in Chief of The Seaforth Highlanders in 1905 was HRH Prince Charles Edward, Duke of Albany KG, GCVO.  His Colonelcy was terminated in 1917 due to his perceived ongoing support for his adoptive country. Charles Edward served on the staff of an infantry division of the German army at the beginning of the war, fighting Russians in East Prussia until 1915 when he wasremoved as medically unfit.  He was also removed from the Order of Garter (KG) and similar in 1915

I'm surprised it took so long. 

Below: Cartoon "Punch" 1917:

Punch 1917.jpeg

Edited by TullochArd

The actual term is a "Revocation".

In 1915 a number of high ranking Germans/Axis figures had their KG's Revoked.

These included The Kaiser and Franz Joseph. 

• 1 month later...

The British removed a number of Germans from the Order of the garter on 13  May 1915, including

no 827 (inv 1904) Wilhelm II, King of Württemberg (1848-1921). Removed 13 May 1915.

The list is here - click

The actual mechanics of removal were quite interesting. A sentry (apparently just  one) with fixed bayonet  guarded the chapel while the regalia of the Germans were removed

kaiser.jpg.72214b706f1dc85994e85c618491dd25.jpg

I get the impression that a lot of it was to do with public opinion deliberately whipped up by the print media of the time (anything to sell more newspapers).  I can’t imagine King George V sitting in his Palace and thinking to himself right….I’ll take my cousins medals away…that’ll show them!  The likes of the Daily Mail had the same editorial instincts then, as it has now.

Edited by FROGSMILE

20 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I can’t imagine King George V sitting in his Palace and thinking to himself right….I’ll take my cousins medals away…that’ll show them!  

Well he b***dy jolly well should have!

14 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Never mind Dai, I’m sure that “disgusted from Cheltenham” did…. You can always rely on British official institutions to be a bunch of hypocrites. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

That even wore German medals after 1914!?

And what they did with those flags???

1 hour ago, deutscherinfanteriest said:

And what they did with those flags???

I wonder.  It would seem that the related suggestion in the 'The Times' of May 1915 to remove the Germanic components of Banbury Cross were also followed through. A plaque on the Cross that recorded the 1858 royal marriage of Queen Victoria's eldest daughter to Crown Prince Frederick, later Kaiser Frederick III was removed as was a painted panel with his Prussian eagle.

Banbury Cross.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

I guess nobody would have objected if they were just simply not worn any longer. The official act of banning them was just a confirmation of a practice probably already in place.

GreyC

In Italy they did not react so with Austrians.... and fasci littori on Buonconsiglio castle are still there from 1920s rulers.

It is interesting this radical decision from the British gouvernement

On 29/12/2022 at 18:44, deutscherinfanteriest said:

Nothing radical about it.
Merely withdrawing honours from folk who showed themselves subsequently to be undeserving of the same.

No different to applying sanctions to folk associated to aggressive regimes today.

On 29/12/2022 at 18:44, deutscherinfanteriest said:

The British Royals only held/hold a constitutional role and the name changing and rejection of all things German was a logical consequence of the War and therefore perhaps not such a radical decision?

In contrast the German Royals were directly involved in the government and the War and I would offer that the Weimar Constitution made a far more radical decision in 1919 by forever abolishing the monarchy and all the German nobility's titles and legal privileges.  Perhaps a bit more radical ....... but very understandable.

Edited by TullochArd

13 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Nothing radical about it.
Merely withdrawing honours from folk who showed themselves subsequently to be undeserving of the same.

No different to applying sanctions to folk associated to aggressive regimes today.

I mean thinking to Italian way of thinking. British did so. Italians never stripped people of their honours..... and French too, if we think Putin still is insigned with Legion of Honor

12 minutes ago, deutscherinfanteriest said:

I mean thinking to Italian way of thinking. British did so. Italians never stripped people of their honours..... and French too, if we think Putin still is insigned with Legion of Honor

"Let every person stick up for his own country".

For example Victor Emmanuel III or General Cadorna, never lost their honours. Only the KK IR 28 named after Italian Kings, changed their name, Austrians as British had a serious view on the "Weltpolitik", and may be is understandable as TullochArd  said.

An honour to a man who declares you war is not so a fun fact

5 hours ago, deutscherinfanteriest said:

Only the KK IR 28 named after Italian Kings, changed their name

So did the German Jäger Btl 11 which was named after the Italian Queen Margherita , but the German order to change names of units named after enemy potentaries was only issued late in the war, mid 1917, and only affected living royalty. It was explicitly stated, that those units named after deceased royalty from enemy countries were excluded from the order, as they, in their time, fought side by side with the German forces.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC