Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lemnos (Mudros) - anything to see today?

Bingoid

Hi. I'm going on holiday to Lemnos in summer 2023. My grandfather spent some time there (whilst serving with the Royal Naval Division) in 1915 before landing at Gallipoli. Are there any WW1 sites or places to visit that are worth exploring? Many thanks

I think Gallipoli itself would be a good it would be interesting to see Suvla Bay, Anzak Cove, the trenches and possibly Lone Pine, or the Nek, Sari Bair,or even Schmitter Hill. 

Edited by peter blackwell

Thanks very much pete

The three CWGC cemeteries - East Mudros Military, Portianos Military and the West Mudros Moslem Cemetery are obvious places ....... and don't forget that the armistice with the Ottoman Empire was signed aboard HMS Agamemnon in Mudros harbour on 30 October 1918.

Cheers Pete

This is a 'must see' thread for you:

Perhaps you can retrace Montbrehain's tracks fifteen or so years later and provide an update?

Thanks pete

@Bingoiddrop me a message, happy to help.

You'll want to visit Mudros harbour. A car is handy. And take some printed-out photographs with you.

Thanks very much, i've so interested in gallipoli i've been neglecting to find out about these two ports. I one or both may have been used for hospitals for the wounded as well as embarkation ports. Pete

Edited by peter blackwell

For some stupid reason i thought Lemnos and Moudros were two seperate islands what an idiot, thanks for putting me right. Pete

11 hours ago, peter blackwell said:

Thanks very much, i've so interested in gallipoli i've been neglecting to find out about these two ports. I one or both may have been used for hospitals for the wounded as well as embarkation ports. Pete

There was a tented hospital at Lemnos if I recall correctly.

Thanks like i said on another post i'd completly overlooked the island of Lemnos, and how important it was. Pete

Mudros had lots of hospitals!

This is an old site of me and my partner's. I stopped updating it because information was being taken and reused without attribution. (The point of the website was to share research, and only general courtesy was being asked for!) However, you might find the references useful.

http://throughtheselines.com.au/2010/research/index.html

Message me if you want any particulars.

Thanks for the link pete

8 hours ago, b3rn said:

This is an old site of me and my partner's. I stopped updating it because information was being taken and reused without attribution. (The point of the website was to share research, and only general courtesy was being asked for!) However, you might find the references useful.

http://throughtheselines.com.au/2010/research/index.html

That's still a great site Bern. and I'm very sorry to hear that you feel you can no longer keep it up-to-date, however I quite understand

@b3rn, thanks for posting that link. Amazing to see all those collated pics. Plus the superimposed ones are really clever and must have been a real effort to track and create. I only have my grandfather's diary note of his dates on the island before later going across to Gallipoli, so the pics help bring it all to life  

My grandfather also served at Gallipoli he was in the 8th Batallion Royal Welsh Fusiliers, but died of t.b in 1933 so i never new him. A forum member recomended a book by Ray Westlake called Regiments at Gallipoli. If you know your grandfathers regiment you can find out what his regiment did. Pete. 

On 19/11/2022 at 16:13, Bingoid said:

Hi. I'm going on holiday to Lemnos in summer 2023. My grandfather spent some time there (whilst serving with the Royal Naval Division) in 1915 before landing at Gallipoli. Are there any WW1 sites or places to visit that are worth exploring? Many thanks

Hi Bingy

do you know which battalion of the RND he was in? I ask because I have a comprehensive history of Collingwood Battalion in Gallipoli. 

Hello iv'e always wanted to visit both Lemnos, Mudros, and Gallipoli  my grandad was with the 8th Batallion Royal Welsh Fusiliers. 

• 7 months later...

Hi. Just an update for anyone on this string or who may pick it up later. Had a family holiday in Lemnos and took the opportunity to visit the Portianos CWGC site. Quite a different site compared to the ones I've visited in France and Belgium in the past. No other visitors there or any wreaths to be seen. Took some pics including two graves of RND Engineers buried there. No other sites on the island, bar graves, to visit. The harbour is still very large, undeveloped and impressive. Easy to imagine all the warships docked there.