Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Batterie Plouich I

Tom Oliviers

Ok, i'm working now on this batterie near Plouich in the Abschnitt D of Gruppe Aubers (AOK 6), located between Aubers and Fromelles. The name "Batterie Plouich I" is fictive, because i dont know its german name. I hope anyone can help me with this?

First i've drawn this interesting batterie with sketchup, the guns inside are just for decorative purpose as i dont know the original guns which stood once inside. Nearby are other batteries (also fictive: Plouich II and Plouich III, and much further another open emplacement batterie near the "Donau" creek. From all batteries near Plouich thisone has the largest gunrooms, so i guess they had an 15cm gun (??)

1203475326_1A1012DBFA.png.24378aae0d9287104bc63f1cbfd4a79e.png

To the second bunker there is something interesting to see. The support beams are bent but the concrete is straight. This means that the bunker was hit during the war, prob. killing all gunners inside, and afterwards they poured new concrete between the slightly bent iron beams. I'm wondering, are there any documents of this impact or documents of the soldiers that died here?

DSCN4382.jpg.11c4f1b61a8f6892feec8eeb90e6a7c3.jpg

DSCN4385.jpg.93c7497c030c1adb67a0235817a3db7d.jpg

i hope anyone can help?

Best regards

Tom Oliviers, Bunkerfreaks Antwerpen / Frontratten 14-18

here the location of the batterie plouich I (fictional name!) -- the guntypes are also a BIG GUESS. in Plouich II we found out they installed on a later time some minenwerfers (the sockle was poured in front of the casemate but inside you see the places for the legs of the former gun), i show this in a later topic

1338932828_1A401BFA.png.9573f29f2e33d59edccdc982d22933db.png

location of the batterie behind the artillerie-schutz-stellung

1A4 02 BFA.png

If you open TrenchMapper and use the map reference 36.N.28.c.38.40 in the left panel, it will jump to the right place. Then you can see a number of British and German maps but General Slim's curse comes into play, too many are close to the edge but at least it shows the trench lines at different dates.

Howard

The Second World War General Slim is said to have remarked "Isn't it a b.....r that battles are always fought on the junction of four maps"