Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rededication Services 17th November 2022

Cheshire22

On the War detectives Facebook page have released details Of the 2 rededication services have taken place today 

Pte James Mclean at Fosse 7 and L/Cpl Smith at Bancourt 

no information on the researchers or a thank you to the researchers 

But 24 hours, this had completely changed as full press releases on the actual websites of the cwgc and the mod jccc 

Edited by Cheshire22
Update a load of bull *****

GRAVES OF TWO WORLD WAR ONE SOLDIERS KILLED IN NORTHERN FRANCE REDEDICATED

The graves of Private (Pte) James McNeilage McLean, age 24 and Lance Corporal (LCpl) Brunton Smith, age 35, who were killed at different stages of the First World War in Northern France, have been rededicated more than a hundred years after they died. Both men served with regiments that are now antecedent to The Royal Regiment of Scotland.

The services, which were organised by the MOD’s Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre (JCCC), also known as the ‘MOD War Detectives’, were held at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission’s (CWGC) Fosse 7 Military Cemetery (Quality Street) and Bancourt British Cemetery on 17 November.

The graves of both men were identified after two members of the public, Alan Gregson (for Pte McLean) and Andrew Pugh (for LCpl Smith) contacted the CWGC presenting evidence suggesting they had been found. Further research conducted by the National Army Museum and JCCC confirmed their findings.

Nicola Nash, JCCC case lead said: 
"Today we stood in two beautiful cemeteries and heard nothing but birds and the distant rumbling of everyday life. A very different scene would have faced our two soldiers over a hundred years ago, when these two men made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. Having their families attend today just shows that their sacrifices will never be forgotten and they will always be remembered with grateful thanks by us all”.

The rededication service for Pte McLean was attended by members of his family including his great nephew, Philip Maclean.

Mr Maclean said:

"The re-dedication service for our Great Uncle James was a moving and emotional experience. We are so pleased as a family he is no longer a missing soldier. We would like to thank the MOD, CWGC and the Army for their considerable efforts".

The Reverend Clarke-Wood said: 

"There are key moments in our shared history that stand as vital. When within the tragedy of such epic loss as WW1, we can in our present take time to honour and consider the individual who has died - we are on the right track. The celebration of inherent human dignity is found in such moment as the rededication of our fallen heroes". 

The headstones over their graves have been replaced by the CWGC who will care for their graves in perpetuity.

Liz Woodfield, Director of External Relations at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, said:
“We thank Mr Gregson, Mr Pugh and the National Army Museum for their research and dedication in helping to identify the graves of Pte McLean and LCpl Smith. We are privileged to honour these two brave men who made the ultimate sacrifice fighting for their country. We will care for their graves in perpetuity.”

PRIVATE JAMES MCNEILAGE MCLEAN

Private James McleanImage: Pte James McNeilage McLean (Courtesy of McLean family)

Pte McLean was born in 1891 to Donald and Agnes McLean and was the third oldest of twelve children. He was born, grew up and served his apprenticeship in Old Kilpatrick, where he worked as a shipwright for Napier & Miller. His father was a marine engineer, a tradition which continued in the family down to recent generations.

Pte McLean was living in Invergordon at his grandparents when he joined the 10th Battalion, Gordon Highlanders. Referred to at the time as ‘the big push’, the Battle of Loos was the biggest British attack of 1915 and saw the first engagement of New Army units. Five battalions of the Gordon Highlanders saw action in this battle, with a further two involved in a subsidiary attack in Hooge, north of the Loos battlefield. Just two days before this battle began, on 23 September 1915, the 10th Battalion, Gordon Highlanders were in the front lines facing Loos-en-Gohelle. The day was spent listening to the near constant, heavy artillery bombardment of the enemy trenches. During the afternoon, the battalion ‘shewed their bayonets and cheered’ to trick the enemy into thinking an attack was imminent. It was during this day that Pte McLean tragically lost his life aged 24. He is commemorated on the local war memorial in Duntochter.

Photo 4 Pte James Mclean 4Th Bn The Royal Regiment Of Scotland
Philip Maclean with members of the 4th Bn, The Royal Regiment of Scotland (Crown Copyright).
Photo 2 Pte James Mclean (1)
Military Attaché British Embassy Paris Col Howard Wilkinson presents the flag to Philip Maclean, great nephew of Pte McLean (Crown Copyright).
Photo 3 Pte James Mclean Headstone
Headstone of Pte McLean (Crown Copyright).
Philip Maclean with members of the 4th Bn, The Royal Regiment of Scotland (Crown Copyright).
Photo 2 Pte James Mclean (1)
Military Attaché British Embassy Paris Col Howard Wilkinson presents the flag to Philip Maclean, great nephew of Pte McLean (Crown Copyright).
Photo 3 Pte James Mclean Headstone
Headstone of Pte McLean (Crown Copyright).
prev
next

LANCE CORPORAL BRUNTON SMITH

LCpl Brunton SmithImage: LCpl Brunton Smith (Courtesy of the Smith family)

LCpl Smith was born in 1882 and worked as a gunpowder maker and a coalminer in the colliery near his home in Roslin, Midlothian. His family believe that when he was in his late 20s, he boarded a ship to New Zealand in anticipation of finding a new life. He landed at Westport on the West side of the South Island and made his home in the burgeoning coal mining town of Denniston Plateau, 1700ft up the mountain. During his stay in Denniston, LCpl Smith sent home several postcards and messages expressing his love for the country and his work there.

He returned to Scotland in 1913 and married Helen Webster Anderson at the Original Hotel in Roslin, Midlothian. They had two daughters, Helen Anderson born in 1914 and Jane Lawrie, born in 1915. LCpl Smith’s plans to return to New Zealand with his family were put on hold when he joined the 8th Battalion Royal Scots in 1915.

LCpl Smith was a member of the independent Order of Rechabites and was an avowed abstainer of alcohol.

Photo 4 Lcpl Brunton Smith
Grandsons Brunton Hunter and Malcolm Clague standing at the grave of LCpl Brunton Smith (Crown Copyright).
Photo 2 Lcpl Brunton Smith
Military Attaché Col Howard Wilkinson presenting the flag to Malcolm Clague, grandson of LCpl Brunton Smith (Crown Copyright).
Photo 3 Lcpl Brunton Smith
Headstone of Pte Brunton Smith (Crown Copyright).
Grandsons Brunton Hunter and Malcolm Clague standing at the grave of LCpl Brunton Smith (Crown Copyright).
Photo 2 Lcpl Brunton Smith
Military Attaché Col Howard Wilkinson presenting the flag to Malcolm Clague, grandson of LCpl Brunton Smith (Crown Copyright).
Photo 3 Lcpl Brunton Smith
Headstone of Pte Brunton Smith (Crown Copyright).

3 hours ago, Cheshire22 said:

The graves of both men were identified after two members of the public, Alan Gregson (for Pte McLean) and Andrew Pugh (for LCpl Smith) contacted the CWGC presenting evidence suggesting they had been found. Further research conducted by the National Army Museum and JCCC confirmed their findings.

https://www.cwgc.org/our-work/news/graves-of-two-world-war-one-soldiers-killed-in-northern-france-rededicated

An interesting acknowledgement for these chaps - unusual and rare it might seem - perhaps lessons are being taken onboard at CWGC/JCCC??

Regardless, good results for both men - may they RIP :poppy::poppy:

M

Edit: Is Andrew Pugh of this parish?  I rather suspect he likely is @andrew pugh

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Hi Cheshire22, Matlock1418

Thank you for showing these photographs and the information. I was unable to attend the ceremony for Brunton Smith. Once again thank you for making me aware of this thread.

Kind Regards

Andy 

On 19/11/2022 at 00:30, andrew pugh said:

Hi Cheshire22, Matlock1418

Thank you for showing these photographs and the information. I was unable to attend the ceremony for Brunton Smith. Once again thank you for making me aware of this thread.

Kind Regards

Andy 

Andy,  

it’s a pity that you were unable to attend, as you did mention that in another post that you were going to have a little chat about researchers not being named in the press releases. 

how did they ask you if you wanted your name appearing the press releases.  

also when did you receive the invitation to the ceremony. 

Do you know the other person named as the other researcher and are they a member of this forum

jamie

Hi Jamie

Sorry for the late reply. The other researcher is a Mr Gregson, and we are both mentioned on the Gov.uk web site under Veterans UK. The JCCC did ask me via email if i wanted to be mentioned  in their press release. I also received an email from the JCCC a few months ago with an invitation to attend. I will still be contacting the CWGC to voice My/Our opinion as to why cases are taking so long to even be looked at. I am absolutely gutted that I didn't make it to the service. 

Kind Regards

Andy

10 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

The JCCC did ask me via email if i wanted to be mentioned  in their press release. I also received an email from the JCCC a few months ago with an invitation to attend.

Andy,

Most interested by your various 'mentions' and earlier e-mail contacts from JCCC - further small glimpses at pieces of the jigsaw process that CWGC et al put together.

Shame the process is not more publicly made available in the whole so as to provide more transparent enlightenment for the likes of us at GWF and other researchers too - one can't help but think there must already be a documented process/flowchart or similar = perhaps something else to mention to them. ??  I hope/feel sure you will give us feedback.

Shame you couldn't make the service, but such things can and do happen in life.  Hope that otherwise life goes well for you and yours.

M

Edited by Matlock1418