Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting a medal card

iammuted

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help interpreting a medal card as per the image.

I know what the page number refers to and what the ---do--- means. Does anyone know specifically what the 'E/1/102 B17' notation means? Something on the issuing rolls I believe...? But anything specific, such as does the 'E' stand for anything?

Recipient was a private in the Middlesex Regiment.

Thanks

iam

Medal card.jpg

The whole reference is simply an indexer to the medal roll.

In this case it's to a Middlesex Regiment man and his medal pair entitlement.

The E was used by the records office which included the Middlesex Regt. and others. Not sure which office that was.

If you change the E for a C the reference then points to another record office for the Wiltshire Regt, possibly Winchester RO.

TEW

22 hours ago, TEW said:

The whole reference is simply an indexer to the medal roll.

In this case it's to a Middlesex Regiment man and his medal pair entitlement.

The E was used by the records office which included the Middlesex Regt. and others. Not sure which office that was.

If you change the E for a C the reference then points to another record office for the Wiltshire Regt, possibly Winchester RO.

TEW

Thank you

21 hours ago, Interested said:

and of course, -do- is an abbreviation for ditto

Yes, thanks, I knew that.

iam

E was the Hounslow Record Office. "E/1/102/B" signifies the Middlesex Regiment."

The best place to find all this information is Howard Williamson's seminal work "The Great War Medal Collectors Companion", Volume 1, of which I have a copy.

If you care to post the soldier's name and number I can look and see whether I can glean anything else from the card and the medal roll itself.

For the record I replied to the OP via a Personal Message, noting although Williamson's book clearly shows that the code "E" refers to Hounslow, the medal roll on which his soldier appears says that it was compiled at Hanwell, and is signed for the officer in charge of "No. 1 Record Office H."

Which leaves me a trifle confused!

However, the roll did show that the soldier in question was in the 20th Middlesex, and I could point the OP to the two war diaries for this battalion available to download from TNA. No service papers appear to have survived for him.

Edited by nhclark

Are there not rolls from Hounslow or Hanwell and some that combine the two into the Hounslow/Hanwell RO?

TEW

On 17/11/2022 at 16:42, iammuted said:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help interpreting a medal card as per the image.

I know what the page number refers to and what the ---do--- means. Does anyone know specifically what the 'E/1/102 B17' notation means? Something on the issuing rolls I believe...? But anything specific, such as does the 'E' stand for anything?

Recipient was a private in the Middlesex Regiment.

Thanks

iam

Medal card.jpg

The modern archive reference for the medal roll is WO 329/1498. The other part of that document, which does not have your man's name on it as the pages are different, is in the other medal roll.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=E%2F1%2F102 B17&_cr=WO 329&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv