Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd royal fusillers

trenchwalker

hi can and one tell what the 2nd RF was on the 1st of july 1916 during the battle of the somme. aswell as the 2nd middlesex also 9th London Regiment (Queen Victoria's Rifles) . im doing research for my school.

hi can and one tell what the 2nd RF was on the 1st of july 1916 during the battle of the somme. aswell as the 2nd middlesex also 9th London Regiment (Queen Victoria's Rifles) . im doing research for my school.

Martin.

2/RF - attacking towards Hawthorn Ridge, some reaching and fighting in the Hawthorn Crater - some got into the German frontline, but most of these were killed.

2/Middlesex - were on the right of 23 brigades attack up Mash Valley towards Ovillers.

9/London - on 169 Brigade's right in the attack on Gommecourt.

Dave.

GREAT DAVE

so the 2nd fusiler is that the same as the bloke from the sunkern lane or are they to the rite of them

The 2/RF attacked across Hawthorn Ridge towards the Hawthorn Redoubt and the German line to the right of it. One company was sent to occupy our side of the lip of the crater at 7.20am, along with MGC and TMB personnel, but the majority of the battalion was mown down in No Man's Land as they attempted to advance. None of them ever got into the German trenches on 1st July, except as wounded prisoners of war.

None of them ever got into the German trenches on 1st July, except as wounded prisoners of war.

Paul's correct here, Martin. (Didn't read my sources deeply enough). I should have stated that "some got to the German wire, but were mostly killed..."

For my penance, have an extract from the O.H.map, showing their attack on 1st July...

Dave. :D

post-357-1112298493.jpg

so the 2nd fusiler is that the same as the bloke from the sunkern lane or are they to the rite of them

Martin,

It was the Lancashire Fusiliers who attacked from the Sunken Lane. So your men are to their right.

Ken