Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Military Medal for "Good Service" and not Gallantry

FlersChampagne

Thought I'd highlight a bit of a strange beast.
Lot 473 in the new Spink auction Catalogue has a very rare and intriguing MM in it to 54 FSgt J C Jones RFC as part of his impressive DCM MM group.
When the MM was introduced the award criteria wasn't communicated very well, specifically that it had to be for Gallantry in the face of the enemy. Consequently, a number of MMs already recommended and approved were for "Good Service" as per the DCM and not for gallantry. This quickly stopped but an unknown number of these Good Service awards are in the 3.6.16 Gazette.
If anybody has any details of others, I'd be most grateful to hear from you.

Kind regards Chris

Hi Chris,

The 3 June 1916 LG link for easy reference: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29608/supplement/5592

As you have stated, this first gazette contained many 'retrospective awards and downgraded DCMs', so it is understandable that some 'good service' MMs would get through.

Does the Spink listing come with a citation, or how do you know Jones' was for 'Good Service'?

Ivor

Hi Ivor, thanks for that. Both Spink and I have his citation

From AF 3121
'Is in charge of the riggers in the Aeroplane Repair Section, No.1 Aircraft Depot. The efficiency of the riggers in the section is due in no small measure of his untiring efforts, example, and devotion to duty.'
I have a few others like this.

Regards

Chris