Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting ICRC POW record index card

Ellis1918

The ICRC POW index card for my Great Uncle Pte Harry Ellis KOYLI 37516 shows the name and address of a Miss E Moreton under the heading Rep :  

Assistance please on what the abbreviation "Rep" stands for .

In 1918 Ethel Morton would have been only 14 years old and was not related to Harry Ellis

Rep: is short for "Repondre" (French) means "Reply to"

38 minutes ago, Ellis1918 said:

In 1918 Ethel Morton would have been only 14 years old and was not related to Harry Ellis

How do you know that E Moreton is Ethel Morton? Is there an address listed for that person on the card and can it be connected to Harry Ellis?

Bit of a long shot but could E Moreton have represented the Red Cross or similar organisation where Harry Ellis lived? (I would not expect a personal name to be listed if she were acting behalf of the Red Cross but you never know...)

Thank you for the responses - LDT006 Thank you , knittinganddeath - Ethel Moretons address is shown on the ICRC index card as 90 Clifton Avenue which is also the address she has on the 1911 census , charlie2 - Sorry can't see a NOK on the ICRC records you linked to which are the same ones that I downloaded , Benfield Place was his residence , Retford was his place of birth.

Thank you Gentlemen for your efforts.

possibly due to the youngster being the only one that could read and write a letter in the family?

many documents of rural inhabitants have an "X" noted as being the mark of...

38 minutes ago, Ellis1918 said:

Sorry can't see a NOK on the ICRC records

I wrote the address’s are different not who his NoK was. Column 6  lines b & c are the address he gave for his NoK

Chaz - Thank you for your suggestion.  charlie 2 - thank you for translating the headings of column 6 

How is Miss F. Cheetham (given as the contact on another one of the cards) linked to Harry Ellis? Any chance that her connection can be extrapolated to explain Ethel Morton's appearance?

14 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

How is Miss F. Cheetham (given as the contact on another one of the cards) linked to Harry Ellis?

She isn‘t, she is linked to 27043 John Ellis.