RAF Tadcaster Sept 1919. From my father's album

Top to bottom with my fathers comments

De Haviland with double propeller

Sopwith Camel Le Rhone

Camel  Selvey, Lamb, Dennis, Wright

Martynsid

Handley Page

Edited by Alan Bentley

Is there a serial for the Camel - looks to be in the D6--- block.

The strike would be the railway strike of 27.9.1919-5.10.1919, when RAF machines were used for mail carrying. 

DH4 A7995 was with 1 Communicatons Sqn and recorded 7.2.1919 by Lt E.H. Lawford and 28.8.1919 by 2Lt A. Campbell-Orde. It carried the unit marking of a band on the rear fuselage (dark blue, light blue, white and red).  

BF F4321 was photographed after a minor accident with 2 Fighting School at Marske and was probably the BF noted as '76' by 2Lt F.A. Beardmore, who went to 2 FS from 27 TDS,                on 17.3.1919. I still carried Marske station number 76 in your shot.

Avro E3510 was recorded at Copmanthorpe by Major A. Davidson, a staff pilot with 8th Wing HQ who flew it on 21.3.1919, 6.4.1919, 14.5.1919, 30.5.1919 and quite a number of times through to 7.10.1918.

SE5a F7965 was also flown by Davidson: Copmanthorpe-Hendon-Waddon-Kenley on 2.10.1919 and Kenley-South Carlton-Tadcaster on 3.10.1919:  then Tadcaster-Copmanthorpe on 5.10.1918 (this doesn't tally with 'day before the strike')

BF F4321 on nose.jpg

Th Camel serial is "D" and what looks like 8. Is that possible?

In a letter written by my father he says" I was posted to Copmanthorpe (28-7-1919), where I was employed on the engines of 16 machines there until, after their transfer to Tadcaster, the railway strike caused an increase in double the number of machines (which were employed on mail distribution work) for the engines of which I was responsible.

On the termination of the strike I was posted to Scampton  Lincs.,and placed in charge of some 300 engines which were stored there."

BUT - his RAF record sheet shows - Renfrew to Scampton 28-7 -19, Scampton to 7 W. Wks.Sqd. 26-12-19, 7W.W.S. to M. Sect. M.D.S 2-3-20, M. Sect. to Tadcaster 5-3-20. No mention of Scampton on his written record.

All a bit confusing , but going on my own RAF experience (2 years) these transfers might have been changes in pay accounting offices rather than movement of personnel.

Expert advice please!

I see F7965 is shown inside the hangar apparently at Tadcaster , the same plane is shown in the Copmanthorpe photos previously discussed. if the day before the strike this would be 25 or 26th  September 1919, but this plane reportedly made this flight on 5 October (should the entry by Mick Davis say 1919 not 1918?), but no doubt carrying of mails was a daily arrangement. 

As my father wrote - 

16 aircraft were transferred from Copmanthorpe to Tadcaster.

So at least one can be traced.

I see your father was a flight engineer. Did he also fly himself as a pilot? I suspect it was "easier" or simpler to fly the aircraft then than when they became more complex.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you say he was at Renfrew?  When was he there?

I have one of those end-of-war group photos of 6 AAP you see....

17 hours ago, pierssc said:

Did you say he was at Renfrew?  When was he there?

I have one of those end-of-war group photos of 6 AAP you see....

Thanks for your input.

My father's record says - 

"Posted from leave to Renfrew (no unit given) 11/7/19.

Posted Renfrew to Scampton (no unit given) 28/7/19"

Although no unit was specified, I believe that, at the time, units were forming and disbanding rapidly.

Any info would be appreciated.

19 minutes ago, Alan Bentley said:

Thanks for your input.

My father's record says - 

"Posted from leave to Renfrew (no unit given) 11/7/19.

Posted Renfrew to Scampton (no unit given) 28/7/19"

Although no unit was specified, I believe that, at the time, units were forming and disbanding rapidly.

Any info would be appreciated.

Well after the date of my photo of 6AAP, I'm afraid, so he won't be in it.

A time of huge change as the RAF contracted.

Edited by pierssc