Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Printing Company RE archive? Or war diaries?

David_Blanchard

I have noticed a number of maps in war diaries are  produced by the 1st Printing Company RE- I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is an archive of the printing company or a set of war diaries that would include these maps?

David

• Admin

You will find some information about printing/maps/surveying in here David. History of the Corps of Royal Engineers. Vol V.  You will have to sign in and borrow it for an hour but it is all free! Link;https://archive.org/details/historyofcorpsof0005port/page/38/mode/2up?q=printing I have never come across what you are asking for. Cheers, Bob.

Edited by Bob Davies

David

ThE RE Library at Chatham hold a summary sheet for them pre-war to August 11th 1914.  There is also a sheet for “A” printing section 22 March 1917 - 22 October 1916. The section may have been part of the company.

TR

More or less the complete picture is described by Peter Chasseaud in Artillery’s Astrologers.

Some maps were drawn by Field Service Companies, later Battalions, some by the OS in Southampton or OSO nearer the front. The whole map production during the war was fairly complex.

Howard