Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aerial Photography

Simon Warren

Hello

I wonder if you guys can help . I have always thought that my grand father Charles Kenneth Wolton Warren REF no 307253 was an aerial photographer . As he was a practicing photographer . If anyone can throw some light on this I would be most grateful . I can see that he entered the war in 1918 as a civilian. I wondering could this have been as a photographer.

Thank you Simon

He was at the school of photography from 30/10/18 until 20/1/19 when he was discharged. He is described as a schoolmaster. There can't be many RAF personnel who have been born on the island of Shikoku.

Thank you . His father was a Missionary living in Japan . Kenneth then became a vicar . I wonder if he was training photographers as he did that in Japan

Thank you Simon

There are quite a few tribunal reports in the same vein. The RAF were 'recruiting urgently' to the last days of the war and had contacted the recruitment centres,national service representatives and tribunals. But as noted the Army often had other ideas for them which sometimes made tribunals grant exemption rather than push a lower health category man to be wasted in the wrong job.