Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo collection

Chris_Baker

Like you say "Excellent"

Looked at them while listening to the words of the song "Willie McBride" - "or are you a stranger without even a name enclosed forever behind a glass frame"! Haunting really...

Mark

RAMC, RFA/RHA, Middx, 17/21L amongst others. Top quality, I guess plate posed portraits.

Most of the men have the look that one acquires after days of stress, inadequate sleep, and poor washing facilities.

Much like a Scout Leader running a camp!

Guest deepathart

Chris,

These are great - I would like to know what the fellow is holding in the one with the dogs - looks very much like a plucked chook??

Dee

Chris,

These are great - I would like to know what the fellow is holding in the one with the dogs - looks very much like a plucked chook??

Dee

I'm pretty certain that is exactly what it is. Don't forget that before the 1950s and the advent of intensively reared chicken most birds were this shape - not very plump in the breast and quite long legged. If you take fairly much any old breed chicken, rather than a modern commercial hybrid, and rear it for the pot what you get will look very much like this once you've plucked it. Shall we get back to the piccies now, or nice Mr Baker will be annoyed that we've hijacked his thread!

Adrian

Two, at least, have boards with a comment "Somewhere in France" and the dates 1914 and 1916, so that dates them. I assume they're from a photographer's collection.

Lovely - I particularly like the group of medics with the board reading something like "Your hard kids. Still going strong" and something else I can't decipher.

Lots of MGC types - being photographed with their new badge?

Hello to all,

my name is Guillaume d'Hubert and I'm the man who published those pictures.

I recently succeded a photographer in the town of Bailleul (Nord), while tidying up the store I found three boxes of glass plates with those pictures, very well preserved, I scanned them without any cleaning to keep them as close as possible of their original condition.

I'll be very happy to have more infos on those soldiers, feel free to add your supposition directly in the gallery, this way everyone could see them easily.

sincerely.

Guillaume

Guillaume,

Welcome to the Forum.

The third picture that is listed caught my eye.

Anyone else suspect that this is a tank crew?

post-172-1112297677.jpg

Having done b & w Photography years ago I'm amazed at the clarity of the picture wonderful! if you've got any more Guillaume, please let us see them.

Len

The clarity of the pictures is amazing. Thanks Guillaume, for sharing them with us.

The two that are taken what looks like indoors, against the painted backdrop, are the least clear. I think black and white photography lends itself to outdoors though....

The third picture that is listed caught my eye.

Anyone else suspect that this is a tank crew?

Would account for my comment on the MGC badges - if it is 1916 (as seems likely), then may well be. On the other hand, Bailleul is a bit of a trek from the Abbeville training area (I think I'm right there) for ORs to have a trip out.

Maybe a MG crew?

Having done b & w Photography years ago I'm amazed at the clarity of the picture wonderful! if you've got any more Guillaume, please let us see them.

Len

No, all the pictures are here I wished there were some others but tat was all.

The web quality don't do justice to the original scans perfectly clear and very detailed, I could print them up to A3 size.

In the first one there is a wood panel at the feet of the soldier with a text written on it, it says

four hard kids

still going strong

bon, eh

The other panel says:

"somewhere in France

1914 1916"

and can be seen in several pics, giving credit to the same day shooting seance theory

see picture

what the last words mean "bataillon of .." an "EH" is it an abreviation , a signature ?

if someone have a clue.

Dear all,

As this is my 1st. post, I hope it all goes well.

Excellent photos, I think the units are-

RAMC Nos. 1, 21

Bedfordshire Regt. Nos. 2,6,10,12,14,23,24,27

MGCorps Nos. 3,7,8,

RArtillery Nos. 4,16,18,22,25,28,

Don't know Nos. 5,15,11

Welsh Regt. Nos. 9,13,20

ASC Nos. 17,19,

Royal Fus. No. 26

Best wishes Roy

what the last words mean "bataillon of .." an "EH" is it an abreviation , a signature ?

if someone have a clue.

Bon, eh

That is your bona fide WW1 Franglais! Meaning:

Good, isn't it / wouldn't you say / don't you think

I would have to agree. It looks like they've been through their fair share!

Fantastic photos.

Cheers,

Stuart

Looking at pictures such as these is important because it reenforces these men's humanity ... their history and their lives ... yes, whomever above who suggested listening to the music while looking at these was right ... I put on my CD of WWII big band (okay, not exactly the same mood, but it's what I have right here) and it works ...

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.