Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Field Ambulance locations

andrew pugh

Hi

Could anybody tell me please where were the 17th Field Ambulance,17th Brigade 6th Division were located from December 1914 until November 1915. I believe they then transferred with the17th Infantry Brigade to the 24th Division, or am I incorrect? Also could someone enlighten me as to which Field Ambulance supported the 1st Battalion Royal Fusiliers during July, August 1916 and where they were located. Any help would be most welcome

Kind Regards

Andy      

Hi Andy. The War Diary for the 17th Field Ambulance recording locations of the unit between 1st August 1914 and 31st May 1919 is available at the National Archive on this link https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352333 free to download once registered. I had a quick look and the unit move a number of times between December 1914 and November 1915. 

Hope that is of some use. 

You may have seen that although 17th Infantry Brigade moved into 24th Division the 17th FA remained with 6th Division.

Your 1st RF query (24th Division) would need detailed dates and I've not yet seen how/where  they were deployed for July & Aug 1916.

24th Division ADMS HQ was In Bailleul with IX corps at the start of July and commenced moving south to the Somme 24th/25th July joining XIII Corps on the 31st.

For August 1916 XIII Corps were running a 'Corps System' for the Medical aspect which means each division manned its section of front line but further back was under Corps orders.

For August the 24th Division were manning various stations including those in Corbie, Carnoy, Bernafay Wood (ADS), Briqueterie (ADS) Bronfay Farm (Corps Walking Wounded), Minden Post, Sapper Corner (ADS) and Dive Close. The latter being the Corps MDS.

WO95/2196/1 has the details including two good maps of evacuation methods.

FAs of all the divisions of XIII corps were involved in the various stages of evacuation EG. all the motor ambulances were pooled. This 'Corps' system evolved during August but it seems that 24th Division had moved to XIV Corps by the end of August having had 3 days in XV corps inbetween!

I think they moved to Mametz around 30th August.

TEW