Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nick Bastin's Book on Maj Edward Campion (On the Frontline of History is apparently free on Kindle for the next few days

Lee Smart

I have just finished reading Nick Bastin's new book: From the Frontline of History (Teddy Campion with he Seaforth Highlanders 1895-1916).

It is an excellent read with a good combination of unpublished family letters, the Seaforths War Diary and good research - I commend it to you.

In an interaction with Nick tonight, he has informed me that he is making the Kindle version of his book 'From the Frontline of History' available for forum members to download free until after Remembrance Sunday and donate all profits from the sales of the books to the Poppy Appeal. So for all of us who follow these things obsessively on a little budget this is an opportunity to grab a bargain! (Sadly as a Scotsman, I paid for my Hardback Copy a few weeks ago when it was first published! - Hey Ho!)

image.png.511104eb6af736d1479809d02b4db478.png

His recount of one event in particular has sparked my interest to delve deeper (as always, interested in my Great Grandfather Albert Fyfe's war): The Seaforth's Battle for Frelinghein 18 - 29th October 1914, when the frontlines first stagnated on the Flanders Front. What caught my eye was the detail of the FIBUA (Fighting in Built Up Areas)...or as the Jock's today call it FISH (Fightin' in somebodies' Hoose!). See my thread in Soldiers' and their Units - I'm looking for some help to chase up some extra detail.