Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal collection display

thedawnpatrol

Im wondering how members keep or display thier medal collection, ive been lucky enough to be left a large medal collection of mainly RFC and RAF, currently stuffed in plastic medal wallets and in turn in ring binders holding 6 to a page, but its not the best way of looking after them or enjoying seeing them….

what options are there out there ?

julian 

G’day Julian!

I recall Kim Lindsay (forum member) puts them in a frame.. examples below

7692FA2D-6DC3-4197-BB04-48011AEB2201.jpeg.1d9550a8bc7e6ecd6b3133a6c51096aa.jpeg

72D9A688-1A4F-46B6-BCDB-C1CD8AE6DD81.jpeg.327c4557fced3455e40d1d0728dd1280.jpeg4B3560EC-16EA-47FF-961F-4BDEDC09ED2D.jpeg.8bc3a940fc47865e350dee692da5a740.jpeg

I’m sure there are other ways, but I’ll get the wheel rolling.

Zidane.

Dear Julian,

Zidane took the words out of my mouth, as it were.

Here are further examplesDockrell_small.jpg.dbd19a15e1cc00159e489a9194717080.jpg833656613_SirE.Durand_small.jpg.825c68b426de75b2e32efa3c5662f32c.jpg!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I worry about leaving them in plastic sleeves. if they sweat the bronze ones are likely to get verdigris the green patches especially if the sweat on your fingers has not been wiped off before placing inside.

there has been discussions on the BMF regarding felt or material lined drawers and the glue can have effects tarnishing them as well.

mine are in metal filing cabinets, no glue, no plastic and when I buy something with small silica gel bags I leave them in the drawers, covid test kits provided quite a few.

Thank you all, this is very useful, yes, i like the idea of very slim draws, in a cabinet ................bit like a butterfly collection would be.................

now, where to source such a thing ?

11 hours ago, thedawnpatrol said:

what options are there out there ?

julian 

Plenty of display ideas here. 

I frame my better or more interesting(to me) medal groups.

Urso.frame.JPG

Winsor.group.frame.JPG

hello all

I used to use coin cabinets for my collection that were wooden, but found it started taking too much space as I needed to house over 1800 medals. and I never had any issues or negative effects on the medals and where easy displayed so was a good solution

I have ended up doing what you have done plastic medal wallets into a binder, but I can get 10 singles or 6 doubles to a page. with various plastic pages (toxic free) I can also house my groups up to 9 court mounted as are all my medals.

I have different binders for different areas i.e. one for single gordon highlander, 1 for pairs, trios and groups gordon highlanders, RN, RNVR, RNR, post WW2, IGSM 1908  - 1939, GSM singles and groups, LSGC / TEM,  New Zealand singles and groups, Victorian era etc.

this way I can access my collection easier, as all medals are labeled on the back of each medal (as court mounted) and they are grouped in a theme. and they sit in one cabinet that is locked as well ventilated so takes up about 20 % of the space of the coin cabinets and still have room to grow the collection

I would love to display many of my collection but always have concerns of the risk of been stolen which is a shame as security is always a major concern

But at the end of the day everyone has the choice of how and where they store or display their collection, it needs to work for them

regards

C