Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GRO - made me pay twice to get an accurate soldier's DC from the Great War!

Matlock1418

Seemed a bit too close to 'business' for Skindles :unsure:  ... 

Seemed worthy of a "Rant" or a "What we want to know" - couldn't decide and as rather 'business' so ??? = So went for new - and there is a cautionary tale in here too.

GRO charged me twice for an overseas DC [modern hand transcripts from the original typed military register]

Once I had paid an initial £14 for a DC [I couldn't find an exact entry so they had to search for it] and it had arrived I noted an error on the DC - told GRO of the error [an error apparently, according to GRO, originating from the original register] and provided them with loads of info to prove the point - GRO corrected the entry - and then GRO charged me again / £11 for a corrected DC! [ A bit cheaper second time as by then I had by then the exact entry!!].

Why?  Apparently because "it isn't/wasn't GRO's error/fault that a regimental clerk made an error 100+ years ago"! 

But GRO wouldn't shift and so I had to pay GRO twice! :angry2:  I thought a bit 'off' really under the circumstances!

OK, got it off my chest - and offer this info as a warning to others who might care to tread that particular path at GRO.

M