Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'A Mad Catastrophe' by Geoffrey Wawro; false captions and incomplete citations

UncleBourbon

So I've been incredibly fascinated by the 1914 Serbian campaigns as of late, and got 'A Mad Catastrophe: The Outbreak of World War I and the Collapse of the Habsburg Empire' by Geoffrey Wawro to learn more about it, given it's one of the few English books focusing on it. I listened to the audible audiobook while following along taking notes and highlighting the ebook, finished it a couple weeks ago, and have found at least three big discrepancies in my research since.

First and foremost, he mentions the Austro-Hungarian 78th Regiment using grenades against Serbs on Gucevo heights on November 6, 1914, but then that Austro-Hungarians were issued hand grenades for the first time around March 1915 on the Carpathian front, wherein several soldiers accidentally blew themselves up. He didn't mention a date, but a cited archival document is from March 6th, 1915, and the Carpathian front was opened in January 1915; after November 1914 regardless.

1372079851_Grenadeconufsionandincompletecitations.png.37b4e04c8cb2f95698f89170231c7a3a.png

Second, and related to the first, I actually contacted the Vienna archive he cited for both grenade accounts regarding the documents he used as citations. They responded that the citations were incomplete with one lacking regiment or brigade description. I don't speak German, but per machine translation they even acknowledged,

Es mag sein, dass dies bereits ein Fehler des von Ihnen genannten Buchs ist.

1559229240_Archivesreply.png.c93545dd3ebeaf11c3d3e047c89c5d79.png

Third is the caption for a photograph in Chapter 13, which states it was of Austro-Hungarians under Serbian fire while implying it was in 1914. I cropped the image and ran it through various reverse search engines in order to try to get a higher resolution original, only to find out that it was taken at Dolje on the Isonzo front in 1916!

1559487182_NotSerbianot1914.png.3a73e2e89cd1dab8ea154f486c8ec991.png

Here are two separate Alamy uploads contradicting Wawro's caption;
Alamy 1 - Right wing of 2/37, north of Dolje, facing enemy fire before an attack. In the background our own position (IV/77, with the Italian position below). Taken at 11am; Isonzo front.
Alamy 2 - Rechter Flügel von 2-37 nördlich Dolje im feindlichen Feuer vor dem Angriff

Needless to say, this information makes it difficult for me to trust anything else Wawro wrote, other than what can be confirmed by other sources, making his book essentially pointless with the only things of value being a handful of books he cited that I found of interest.
Am I looking too far into this, or are these observations valid?

Also, what are some recommended English-language books that go into detail (small unit actions, etc.) on the Serbian campaigns of 1914? At this time my list to read consists of 'Austria-Hungary's Last War, 1914-1918' translated by Stan Hanna, 'Collision of Empires' by Prit Buttar, 'Report Upon the Atrocities Committed by the Austro-Hungarian Army During the First Invasion of Serbia' by Rodolphe Archibald Reiss and 'Serbia and the Balkan Front, 1914' by James Lyon.

Edited by UncleBourbon
Better structure of text between images