Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Headstone photos on CWGC

PaulC78

Has anyone else spotted this? I think this feature has been a long time coming, but this is the first example I've seen of a headstone photo on a casualty record:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2802412/james-antony-oster/

Not sure if the intention is to have the photo on the downloadable certificate, if it is then they haven't got that far yet.

1 hour ago, PaulC78 said:

Has anyone else spotted this? I think this feature has been a long time coming, but this is the first example I've seen of a headstone photo on a casualty record:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2802412/james-antony-oster/

Not sure if the intention is to have the photo on the downloadable certificate, if it is then they haven't got that far yet.

Yes, I had noticed that but not seen any ones with actual photograph 

didnt they something similar years, where there supposed to be a photograph of the casualty 

On 03/11/2022 at 22:26, PaulC78 said:

this is the first example I've seen of a headstone photo on a casualty record:

Have to confess I've not seen that so far

20 hours ago, MelPack said:

I think that these are fairly standard for UK burials

But ... Checking some burials I now see underneath the Commonwealth War Graves logo for those casualties there is now We are in the process of collecting an image of this casualty's headstone - presumable via their Eyes On, Hands On volunteers initiative. Better late than never. :)

M

8 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Checking some burials I now see underneath the Commonwealth War Graves logo for those casualties there is now We are in the process of collecting an image of this casualty's headstone

I'd spotted this comment they added to the placeholder image, maybe a few weeks ago. I assume they started uploading actual photos around the same time. A nice, positive development.