Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical Officers Service Records

David_Blanchard

Am I right in assuming that the service records of British medical officers in the Great War do not exist or were destroyed after the war ? 

David 

Many doctors were granted temporary commissions in the RAMC. Unfortunately, as the RAMC (Temp) officers only served for the duration of the war, their service records were destroyed after 1920. Those for RAMC officers who received permanent commissions between 1871 and 1922, accessible via the index in WO 338/23, are listed in WO 339

Maureen

In addition many of the early war diaries had to be recreated, since they too had been lost. Macpherson had to advertise for contributions in the early 20's when producing the Official Histories.

3 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

Thanks, Maureen. Since the post I have found some records.

David 

Captain George Stephen Pirie has a WO339 file as although he was originally given a Special Reserve Commission at the beginning of 1915, he was given a regular commission in January 1917. He was killed in July 1917. His diary has been published as 'Frontline Medic Gallipoli, Somme, Ypres.'

Michael

6 hours ago, MartH said:

In addition many of the early war diaries had to be recreated, since they too had been lost. Macpherson had to advertise for contributions in the early 20's when producing the Official Histories.

Hello Matt, interested to know where you found this reference? I wonder if there is a Macpherson archive somewhere? Something similar to Edmonds official history letters found in cab45 at TNA, perhaps.

David 

Just now, David_Blanchard said:

Hello Matt, interested to know where you found this reference? I wonder if there is a Macpherson archive somewhere? Something similar to Edmonds official history letters found in cab45 at TNA, perhaps.

Well I know three is an article in Higham Official Histories that refers to it, and Volume II General History he mentions missing war diaries in the Perface (its the one on 1914 France and Flanders) . There is an archive somewhere, and a while ago (i,e since 82) some of his paper have been sold.