Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking date of undated 11 Sqn combat report

Errol Martyn

The following are details of a combat report that, strangely, lacks a date. Can anyone here pin down what it might be, please? Checking the serial entry in the CCI published FE.2b book indicates that it must be sometime between 6 Feb 1917 and 17 Mar 1917

FE.2b A5472 (presentation machine Gold Coast No 1) with Pilot Captain C. N. Lowe. Reconnaissance. 3.25 pm. Thelus, Bailleul-Oppy to Adinfer. 8000 feet.

2 L.V.G. two-seaters. Engaged separately.

3 Type “M”

While on Photographic reconnaissance and shortly after crossing the lines near THELUS I saw a hostile machine type L.V.G. coming from the direction of DOUAI. I fired a double drum at long range and it immediately turned round and made off in a north easterly direction.

A few minutes after this another L.V.G. machine appeared quite close to the formation and I fired two double drums at it. I saw a number of my tracers hit the machine and it turned and dived in the direction of OPPY, where it crashed on landing.                                                                                        

A little later I observed three hostile machines apparently type “M” east of the formation. One of these disappeared but two followed the formation to ADINFER. I fired one drum into it when the machine turned and made off in the direction of QUEANT, losing height fast.

(Sgd Second Lieutenant ‘Geo. Masters’ and squadron CO).

TIA,

Errol

Possibly 15 March 1917; RFC Communiqué No 79 records "A patrol of 11 Squadron destroyed a hostile machine near Hoppy, and drove down a second machine out of control"

And in my list of claims for the day, I have: Lieut Cyril Nelson Lowe & 2nd-Lieut George Masters, FE2b, 11 Sqn, two-seater destroyed Bailleul

The lack of detail for the claim shows I obtained the information from a 'secondary' source rather than a combat report; note that Bailleul-Sir-Berthoult is just a short distance south-west of Oppy.

The only other claim I have for this pair in March 1917 was on the 24th, by which time A5472 had been struck off charge.

Graeme

Many thanks Graeme, that looks like a chocolate fish-award winning answer!

Cheers,

Errol