Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bournemouth V.T.C ?

thedawnpatrol

I have this pair of shoulder titles but i cant find any information about what V.T.C means ?

presumabily WW1 ?

4188FAE2-8AEF-4E81-85B3-B12AC560D63F.jpeg

870F8D2A-E2C7-4D32-BF21-5DDE3C7777CB.jpeg

Bournemouth Graphic via Findmypast newspapers

chrome_screenshot_1667253253070.png.768f17d11680ff6ca92451303444cf1e.png

It started, I think, as the Bournemouth Athlete's Volunteer Force. If you find a shoulder title for that you will be doing well!

Edited by charlie962

Bournemouth VTC had a unique cap badge of the Town Arms with the VTC title.  In 1916 they became part of the Hampshire Volunteer Battalion which was unusual in that it also had its own bespoke cap badge which was the Hampshire Regiment badge but in all white metal.

14 minutes ago, max7474 said:

Bournemouth VTC had a unique cap badge of the Town Arms with the VTC title.  In 1916 they became part of the Hampshire Volunteer Battalion which was unusual in that it also had its own bespoke cap badge which was the Hampshire Regiment badge but in all white metal.

That’s interesting Max, I did look for an insignia image, but couldn’t find one despite a lengthy online search.  Thanks for explaining the detail.

1 hour ago, max7474 said:

Thanks Max, I have seen that one several times before.  I meant the original VTC badge. 

My memory might be playing up but it was another Bosely sale.  Problem is they have so many sites/auctions/catalogues I can't remember which auction it was in.

10 minutes ago, max7474 said:

My memory might be playing up but it was another Bosely sale.  Problem is they have so many sites/auctions/catalogues I can't remember which auction it was in.

Yes I understand Max.  I had a really good search around as mentioned, but couldn’t find it unfortunately.  It’s good to post such images here in the forum as I find they then get picked up via any Google search even if you have to scroll down to pick up the reference.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I don't have a copy but apparently in The Bulletin of the MHS Bournemouth VTC is amongst badges described and pictured in the following issue :
Vol 41, Issue 163: VTC Head Dress Badges, 1915-18, by Hugh L. King.

15 minutes ago, max7474 said:

and courtesy of the British Military Badge Forum I offer the following:

Screenshot 2022-11-06 17.10.14.png

Fantastic!  Brilliant work Max.  It will sit here in the forum now, hopefully for posterity. 

7 minutes ago, max7474 said:

There are a couple of  VTC albums on the BMBF that are unsurpassed anywhere else. 

I did do a search in BMBF but it didn’t come up.  I should have gone to the albums themselves.  Google picks up here, but not there.

Looking at the dates it seems likely that both the s/ts in Post 1 and the cap badge can only have been worn for less than 2 years and I can't imagine that many survive.  I think it reasonable to assume that they were not designed, ordered, made and issued much before early 1915  and the article above gives an end date of Aug 16 when the VTC was disbanded and personnal transferred to the Hants Volunteer Battalion.  I doubt the Bournemouth VTC was a huge unit but with 500 members joining the Regular Army it probably had 1000+ members during it's brief existence.

7 minutes ago, max7474 said:

Looking at the dates it seems likely that both the s/ts in Post 1 and the cap badge can only have been worn for less than 2 years and I can't imagine that many survive.  I think it reasonable to assume that they were not designed, ordered, made and issued much before early 1915  and the article above gives an end date of Aug 16 when the VTC was disbanded and personnal transferred to the Hants Volunteer Battalion.  I doubt the Bournemouth VTC was a huge unit but with 500 members joining the Regular Army it probably had 1000+ members during it's brief existence.

Yes I think they played a useful role at a time when the War Office was very much ambivalent about citizen auxiliaries, especially in the way they provided a training focus for those deferred by tribunal and those awaiting call up.  In a sense the VTC pretty much converted wholesale to volunteer battalions, because until they formed up the latter was nothing more than a skeleton cadre akin to [euphenism] two men and a dog.  In short, no VTC, no men.  

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone.  This is my first post and I am grateful to be accepted.  I am a collector of vtc badges, of which I have many. If it helps I am happy to post examples at a later date. I am also always looking to add to my collection if any members have any to offer for sale.

Thanks