Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform help

pioneecorps

I hope the photo will work. Please could anyone help me in finding out what uniform this his.

Gerwyn

C4E2825F-2441-49CF-B588-0F82CF288B0A.jpeg

It did not work, please delete.

Gerwyn

• Admin
1 hour ago, pioneecorps said:

We seem to be having problems with images on GWF at the moment. Be patient sure there is no hurry after 100 years ;)

• Admin
2 hours ago, pioneecorps said:

Gerwyn

The inage problem seems to have resolved  - perhaps have another go

Thank you for your kind help with this Ken.

Kind regards

Gerwyn.

Will have another go now.

1667223625134.png

8 minutes ago, pioneecorps said:

Thank you for your kind help with this Ken.

Kind regards

Gerwyn.

Will have another go now.

1667223625134.png

You have to make the image into a jpg or it won’t post.  You simply ‘edit’ it a little on your phone and when it’s ‘saved’ it will be a jpg.  Good luck.

PNG's are acceptable image files, along with JPEG & JPGs (the latter two being identical).

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

11 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

PNG's are acceptable image files, along with JPEG & JPGs (the latter two being identical).

Thanks Dai.  I don’t know what he’s done wrong then.   There’s a new type of image that a lot of websites now use and I have to edit them before they’ll successfully post. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

29 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I don’t know what he’s done wrong then.   There’s a new type of image that a lot of websites now use and I have to edit them before they’ll successfully post. 

No, I'm not sure either, but maybe the address contains things like extra "." or "-" symbols.

Lots of nsites now have images in WebP format, which can be converted to JPEGs before manipulation or re-posting.

AVIF image files can be downloaded, but need an AVI plugin to display on your computer.

24 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

No, I'm not sure either, but maybe the address contains things like extra "." or "-" symbols.

Lots of nsites now have images in WebP format, which can be converted to JPEGs before manipulation or re-posting.

AVIF image files can be downloaded, but need an AVI plugin to display on your computer.

I think it must be the WebP format that I was referring to then.  I’m finding that I have to edit them from screen shot and can no longer simply save and post straight in.

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 minutes ago, pioneecorps said:

Only if you’re a member of the airgun forums! Which you clearly are, and we’re not.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Gerwyn,

As Frogsmile says, the link only works if you're a subscriber to that magazine.
In addition, I see that the two links you posted in your early posts are also links into the magazine website.

Why don't you go to the image, right click on it and copy, then go to the reply box below, right click and post directly there. (You don't even need to save it.)

13 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Hope it helps

1667223625134.jpg.688396d36bcda6bfa4aa25f620dfb662.jpg

It’s a Diplomatic Corps Uniform.  Not necessarily British going by that moustache and I’m not sure what his ranking is.  There were several levels ascending in gold lace grandeur.  A very similar uniform was worn for levee dress by HM Privy Counsel members.

Although following a common theme of gold lace decoration each nation had its own special design of diplomatic corps uniform.

654152C8-EF9F-4D4A-AC28-8C2FA7F32FA0.jpeg

05C4B04F-8296-463B-948C-52A8028072D3.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Gerwyn,

As Frogsmile says, the link only works if you're a subscriber to that magazine.
In addition, I see that the two links you posted in your early posts are also links into the magazine website.

Why don't you go to the image, right click on it and copy, then go to the reply box below, right click and post directly there. (You don't even need to save it.)

Hi Dai Bach, thank you for you kind help, the photo from another forum I'm a member of, and a gentleman ask for help in identifying the uniform of a family member, I said I would try to help him if I could. Hope you don't mind me seeking ths help from your members.

13 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Hope it helps

1667223625134.jpg.688396d36bcda6bfa4aa25f620dfb662.jpg

Hi Jay, your wonderful for helping me with the picture, Thank you.

Kind regards

Gerwyn

9 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Diplomatic Corps Uniform.  Not necessarily British going by that moustache and I’m not sure what his ranking is.  There were several levels ascending in gold lace grandeur.  A very similar uniform was worn for levee dress by HM Privy Counsel members.

654152C8-EF9F-4D4A-AC28-8C2FA7F32FA0.jpeg

05C4B04F-8296-463B-948C-52A8028072D3.jpeg

Thank you for your kind help with my request for information on the uniform FROGSMILE. I will pass this information to the gentleman and will add where the help came from.

Kind regards

Gerwyn.

18 minutes ago, pioneecorps said:

Thank you for your kind help with my request for information on the uniform FROGSMILE. I will pass this information to the gentleman and will add where the help came from.

Kind regards

Gerwyn.

It’s almost certainly European, perhaps Italian, Greek, Spanish, or French.  A member of the family who was a diplomat perhaps, working in an embassy, or consulate.

FF8514B9-139E-42AB-A17A-581693D0CAA5.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you for your further help with this FROSMILE, which I will pass on to the gentleman.

I did pass on the first information you gave to him, and he asked me to thank you all for your help. and said in the reply 

I would say that definitely could be it, many thanks
Most Grateful.

1 minute ago, pioneecorps said:

Thank you for your further help with this FROSMILE, which I will pass on to the gentleman.

I did pass on the first information you gave to him, and he asked me to thank you all for your help. and said in the reply 

I would say that definitely could be it, many thanks
Most Grateful.

I’m glad to help.  There is a name for the distinctive type of moustache our subject favours, but I can’t recall what it is.  It was favoured by some parts of Europe more than others and might offer a clue.

Just had this from the gentleman FROGSMILE.

Many thanks, I searched for hours and didn’t quite get there. Part of my family is French , so I would go with French Diplomatic Corps.

Kind regards

Gerwyn

17 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thanks Dai.  I don’t know what he’s done wrong then.   There’s a new type of image that a lot of websites now use and I have to edit them before they’ll successfully post. 

Yeah HEIC photos - a lot of smart phones use this new format now as it is lossless compression so is more memory efficient than a jpg (AIUI) but not everywhere vna display them :(

18 minutes ago, pioneecorps said:

Just had this from the gentleman FROGSMILE.

Many thanks, I searched for hours and didn’t quite get there. Part of my family is French , so I would go with French Diplomatic Corps.

Kind regards

Gerwyn

Thanks for the feedback.  That makes sense, I think that the style of moustache was called the Imperial (from Napoleon III).