Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German field hospital- help needed

Sturmmann1918

Hello everyone, 

I've exhausted all of my own attempts to locate information regarding field hospital 72. I'm particularly interested in its operations towards the end of the war. From what I know, It was operating in Marville France in November, 1918. It was apart of the 43rd reserve division ( Prussia).

I'm looking for any information regarding when It arrived in Marville, the address it operated at, any map, or information regarding casualties. I understand that most, if not all Prussian military records were destroyed when the Archive was bombed in Potsdam in 1945.

I am interested if any has a copy of the 4 volume book "Sanitatsbericht uber das deustcher heer im weltkrieg 1914/1918", as this may be the only place any information still exists. 

If anyone has any information, or suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!

Alexander

Good evening Alexander,

There is a copy of the Sanitatsbericht uber das deutscher heer im weltkrieg 1914/1918 in the library I used to curate, but unfortunately I retired last December and don't have access any more - sorry! A successor to me will finally be arriving in post next January so I may be able to organise something then.

The National Library of Medicine in your country indicates that the Surgeon-General's Library used to hold a copy.  - I don't know what the inter-library loan situation may be, but perhaps a local library can advise. NB the correct spelling of the fourth word in the title which should be deutscher, not deustcher - the typo may prevent proper results from being returned.

Best wishes

sJ

2 hours ago, Sturmmann1918 said:

It was operating in Marville France in November, 1918. It was apart of the 43rd reserve division ( Prussia).

Not after 12th Sept., as the 43rd Res Div was dissolved on that day.

GreyC

I‘m sure Feld Lazarett were Army Corps troops and not divisional. I have the Sanitätsbericht, I‘ll have a look if the hospital is mentioned.

Charlie

18 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Not after 12th Sept., as the 43rd Res Div was dissolved on that day.

GreyC

Hi GreyC, 

I used “ The German forces in the field, November 1918” as my reference. I attached a photo below. 

I did notice in other source the 43rd was broken up in August, 1918 and units sent elsewhere. 

8B572099-5557-413B-850E-60526A1F15BA.jpeg

3 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

I‘m sure Feld Lazarett were Army Corps troops and not divisional. I have the Sanitätsbericht, I‘ll have a look if the hospital is mentioned.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie, I would appreciate that! 

44 minutes ago, Sturmmann1918 said:

I would appreciate that!

There isn‘t any mention of the Field Hospital during 1918 in the Sanitätsbericht. Of the 800+ pages of volume 2 only about 40 deal with 1918 whereas 1914 is covered in about 550.

On mobilisation in 1914 Feldlazarette were Army Corps troops, from December 1916 each Division was allocated 2 Feldlazarette, any surplus then became Army troops. 
Charlie

Hello,

I fear there isn't any more information at the moment. I have gathered over the years a 100 page word document with locations of German field and war hospitals from all kinds of sources. Most if not all archives of Prussian units are gone. There might be something in the archives of the 5. Armee somewhere as I assume the hospital was part of that Armee. Field hospitals were corps troops in 1914, but later they became divisional troops. However, there was also from 1916/17 onwards a large amount of field hospitals on Army level (but attached to the Gruppen) to make sure enough medical facilities were present, especially on more active fronts.

That Reserve-Feldlazarett 72 was in Marville comes from a casualty in IR 177 who died in the hospital in Marville on 20 October 1917.

Jan