Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Flack Brothers KIA from Rede Suffolk

adrian 1008

A recent acquisition and a local connection, has got me back into the study !

BWM and VM to 242630 Pte Thomas Edward Flack Born 23/07/1887 KIA 23/04/1917 serving with 1st /6th Btn Notts and Derby Rgt (Sherwood Foresters) Came from Rede near Bury St Edmunds, Father Aaron Flack , Mother Francis Flack

BWM & VM to brother Sidney Charles Flack born 29/11/1893 KIA 28/03/1918 ? served with 1st Btn Suffolk Rgt

and cousin Frederick John Flack ? born 1886 KIA either 15/09/1916 or 23/09/1918 Frederick was serving with 1st Btn Cambridgeshire Rgt service No 201344

Once again any assistance with meat on the bones would be appreciated, links to war diaries especially helpful, as I struggle to navigate the National Records !

These men are commemorated on the War Memorial in the Church at Rede and I would like to make up a presentation for Remembrance Sunday

Thanks in anticipationScan_20220804.jpg.0fae41bd6635dd297039538d339dd3ea.jpgScan_20220804.jpg.0fae41bd6635dd297039538d339dd3ea.jpg

47 minutes ago, adrian 1008 said:

links to war diaries

1/6 Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment) | The National Archives

Reference: WO 95/2694/1
Description:

1/6 Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment)

Date: 1915 Feb. - 1919 June

Poor image but refers to TE Flack. Bury Free Press 23/6/17. Courtesy BNA. Article says joined army March 1916 and went to France in Dec 1916

flack3.jpg.dab29b5c15516f43cc97f61c3a058fe1.jpg

There is a death notice (no pic) for SC Flack KIA 28/3/18 in the same paper on 27/4/18. A memorial notice for TE appears in the same edition, 

Edited by Mark1959

Several pension cards at WFA/Fold3 with both lads' names and names of parents - Parents living at Croft House, Rede. [But you knew that from CWGC :D]

Initially awarded 7/9 from 15-10-18 for life, then 8/6 pw from 6-11-18 for life, then 12/6 pw 29-1-19 to 14-4-20 [would have been kept under review for a while longer - Aaron died 25/4/25]

image.png.cdeab34c3f83f2d021e395056b581658.png

Image from WFA/Fold3

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add image of card

2 hours ago, adrian 1008 said:

Sidney Charles Flack born 29/11/1893 KIA 28/03/1918 ?

Sidney Charles FLACK, 24162, Suffolk Regt.

One pension card records KiA 11.4.18 [C/w CWGC 28 March 1918 https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1557136/sidney-charles-flack ]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add CWGC link & then correct date typo!

Thank you, thats a great help. I will write this up and have it on display for the remembrance service

Below is the memorial in Rede Church

REDE Memorial.jpg

Reading the war diary there is an account of the night attack at ?? Fosse du Lievin,

have i read this correctly and where is it ?

Which Flack are you referring to in your last post?

edit - See it refers to TEF

You may wish to read this page. This seems to use the War Diary as a resource and appears a well researched article complete with pictures and map of the attack. It names Flack as a casualty.

https://derbyshireterritorials.uk/the-great-war-1914-1918/1917-2/fosse-3-de-lievin/

The reports at the end of the April in the WD also give details of the attack.

Fosse 3 is a Mine. 42 men were killed there in a mining disaster on 27/12/1974.

Lievin is in/near to Lens and north of Arras. 

Edited by Mark1959

thank you Mark, really helpful

On 29/10/2022 at 17:24, adrian 1008 said:

and cousin Frederick John Flack ? born 1886 KIA either 15/09/1916 or 23/09/1918 Frederick was serving with 1st Btn Cambridgeshire Rgt service No 201344

Frederick Flack 4069 has a hospital admission record on FindmyPast for 1916.

It says he was 4th Suffolks attached 239 Army Troops Company RE, admitted 34 CCS 23/12/16 with 'Trench Fingers' Right. Discharged to No5 Ambulance Train 24/12.

He is shown as aged 31, 10 months total service incl 3 months with Field Force. 

Charlie 

Ps 

War diary 4th Suffolks here 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353842

War diary 239 AT RE starts Dec 1916 here at NA.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/1cf4bd160325471b83048e990db537fa 

War diary 1/1 Cambridgeshires to April 1918 here 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354226

War diary 1st Cambridgeshires May 1918 onward here.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352673

Edited by charlie962

Thank you, what would 239 Army Troops Coy RE do? are they like a maintenance unit ?

Is it possible to identify where 34 Casualty clearing station was located and No 5 Ambulance train

Presumably Trench fingers is similar to Trench foot ? @seaJane could you help please

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/locations-of-british-casualty-clearing-stations/

You will see that from Sept 1916 to April 1917 it was at Grovetown (somme). This I believe is at/near Meaulte just south of Albert, 

Also see 

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/evacuation-of-casualties-from-the-somme-1916/

Unfortunately only covers up to Nov 1916. But think you will get the idea. 

Edited by Mark1959

Army Troops companies were smaller units than Field Companies. Typically one per Division plus some more for Lines of Communications work.

Duties included:

Establishing and maintaining water supply.

Work on maintaining and developing Corps defence lines.

Preparing and maintaining observation posts for Artillery.

Gun positions for Heavy Artillery.

Laying, maintaining and developing trench tramways.

Etc 

(Source Howard Williamson Great War Companion vol3)

Edited by charlie962

3 hours ago, adrian 1008 said:

Trench fingers is similar to Trench foot ? @seaJane could you help please

I don't know for certain - I can't find any articles in English in the literature - but I suspect you are correct.

sJ

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all who have contributed, as a post script the medals were displayed at Hawkedon Church for the remembrance service, and afterwards I was asked to give an impromptu talk to the congregation on the Family and their losses

Due reference was given to GWF and the great support network.

A week before the service an entry was made in the Rede Church visitors book stating "remembering the Flack family and the losses they sustained losing 3 sons" the writer came from Bury St Edmunds there is now an attempt to trace this individual as it suggests they may be related, and it would be nice to reunite the medals with the family.

An article is also being prepared for the parish magazine

As my wife and I left the church, an elderly lady came up to us and asked if I would look at some family medals she had in an old cupboard................

IMG_1327 (1).JPG

• 11 months later...

As a postscript

Thanks to the early morning programme on BBC Radio Suffolk who ran the story of me looking to reunite the medals with the Flack family, a descendant has come forward and we are due to meet next week and I will pass the medals back to the family for their safe keeping along with the research I have learnt from the forum members. 

I will ensure that due credit is passed on and GWF gets a prominent plug on air.

Thanks once again for all the help, you have made a family very proud of their great uncles, especially ahead of Remembrance Sunday

• 1 month later...

I go to Rede Church every year to pay my respects to the boys of Rede, my great grandfather’s younger brother’s Sydney and Thomas, and their cousin Edward. Thank you so much for preserving these medals and spending your time researching their lives. I am so glad that a member of the family now has them and I hope I’ll be able to track them down to see them too. Thank you. These boys were related to another William Flack (their cousin) who was the first Suffolk soldier to die in WW1 at Mons. He has a cul de sac named after him - William Flack Place and my dad and his late cousin planted a holly tree in their remembrance. It means a great deal to the family. Thank you.