Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cloth shoulder titles in World War One?

MacBrodie13CEF

Did cloth shoulder titles like these exist in World War One? I believe I've seen some Canadian regiments wear them, but I'm not sure if they were during the war or interwar period. 

PhotoRoom-20220425_150407_18-320x320.png

2 hours ago, MacBrodie13CEF said:

Did cloth shoulder titles like these exist in World War One? I believe I've seen some Canadian regiments wear them, but I'm not sure if they were during the war or interwar period. 

PhotoRoom-20220425_150407_18-320x320.png

Do you mean just for Canadian units?  That particular two colour style is associated with post WW1 I think.  The curved design following the shoulder seam was first introduced in 1902 in the British regular and auxiliary forces and was subsequently adopted by many (but not all) units formed by various colonial and Dominion units.  They were replaced in Britain by metal shoulder [strap] titles from 1908 onward, but retained by some units such as Foot Guards and a few others.  For infantry they were universally white letters on a scarlet background during that early period.

from the very small picture, it appears to be printed which I am sure makes it WWII or thereabouts in date.

21 minutes ago, Jerry B said:

from the very small picture, it appears to be printed which I am sure makes it WWII or thereabouts in date.

Yes I think that you’re right Jerry, and the edging has been merrowed too. 

Edited by FROGSMILE