Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Department boundary stones on Salisbury Plain

Moonraker

After many decades of studying military activities on Salisbury Plain, I've only just realised that the boundaries of War Department land were delineated by boundary stones, marked on older maps as "B S W  D" (with an upward arrow between "W" and "D") - such as here.

Googling led to many examples - but apparently none on the Plain. Does anyone know of any that are still in place, please?

(Mods may be twitching, as the stones were not specific to the Great War period. I shall understand if my query is transferred to Skindles.)

I managed to locate a couple myself today - courtesy of Streetmap (1:25000 version) - which marks several in the Bulford area as "BS". (A map of 1908 shows many more individually, but west of Park House Camp there appear to have been so many that the map has an extended "Boundary Stones" annotation.) Most of those marked on Streetmap are in near-impenetrable woodland,though I found one (with a larger, more-recent companion?) 80 yards above the Kiwi and another on its own some 500 yards to the North West.) No WD markings though.1866093597_BoundarystonenearKiwi.jpg.ca5db8bcf3063fe0d606e81d9619bd6a.jpg2089368490_Boundarystone.jpg.ef1b7f31fac4b00ac03b4e15af361eb7.jpg

(A bonus of my day out was finding the concrete traces of the shower baths at Park House Camp - prewar tented camping site, with huts being built there in1914-15; no traces remain) - and a few bricks where the camp "engine house" stood.)

Edited by Moonraker